• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Long rod experience or suggestions?

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Having fished with fairly standard beachcasting gear for a long time, consisting of 13ft Ian Golds rods, paired with Shimano Biomaster fixed spools loaded with mono, I switched to braid a couple of years back, in an effort to increase my casting distance.

Unfortunately, any gains have been minimal and being too long in the tooth to learn pendulum casting (and probably too uncoordinated 😂), I’ve recently been considering taking the plunge with a longer, continental style rod.

I’m not after anything too light, as I already have an old 3-piece Ian Thompson rod, which I’ve much never used much, so I’m considering something with a little more grunt, suitable for slightly more mixed ground, as opposed to completely clean, sandy beaches.

I’ve just started looking at possible rods, and so far, my list only includes the 3-piece TronixPro Competition Match range, and the Blackrock SS10 Competition Surf 4.5m, so I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of these 2 rods? Or could you recommend something else?

Having fished with fairly standard beachcasting gear for a long time, consisting of 13ft Ian Golds rods, paired with Shimano Biomaster fixed spools loaded with mono, I switched to braid a couple of years back, in an effort to increase my casting distance.

Unfortunately, any gains have been minimal and being too long in the tooth to learn pendulum casting (and probably too uncoordinated 😂), I’ve recently been considering taking the plunge with a longer, continental style rod.

I’m not after anything too light, as I already have an old 3-piece Ian Thompson rod, which I’ve much never used much, so I’m considering something with a little more grunt, suitable for slightly more mixed ground, as opposed to completely clean, sandy beaches.

I’ve just started looking at possible rods, and so far, my list only includes the 3-piece TronixPro Competition Match range, and the Blackrock SS10 Competition Surf 4.5m, so I was wondering if anyone on here has any experience of these 2 rods? Or could you recommend something else?
Replied to you elsewhere!
Go have a look at Italcanna Dynamis is three piece two models they also do Graphene rods now. Just over £400 each.
Italcanna LA's "pure magic" Fishing version of a light sabre! ive all of them plus B4.
@chesilpete will confirm.
your reel will hold you back also likes of an Ultegra will give you more distance due to better spool and line lay

Continental rods

Hi Andy I myself have only been beach fishing a couple years & am no expert but your experience/path sounds familiar. I usually fish chesil and panic brought a pair of 14ft vercelli enygma magmas (4-6oz) during lockdown as wanting good bite detection however these rarely leave home as I found they get pulled around by the tide unless it’s flat, which it never is. Stepped up to a pair of 2nd hand vercelli centinnel ts (100-300g) again 14ft which I mainly use. My casting isn’t great so still get the same problem if it’s rough, which it usually is. Did try a six & bait out the other day which seemed to whack it out there & now wondering if that’s the route to take? Though it did seem a bit broomstick like? (All fixed spool)

I guess it depends where you’re fishing and how far you need to cast obviously sometimes the fish are In close & your budget.

The only other thing I would add is with the continental rods if you are using a shock leader in weedy conditions the knot/weed jams in the top eye every time very annoying & harder to clean off than when it comes down to the reel & worse when you have a fish on.

Apologies if I have stated the obvious, will be keen to hear other people’s opinions

Cheers

Can't help much Andy, as the 2 Continental rods I use are quite light, and I only fish Piers or clean shingle anyway. I think both of my Rods are rated 100 - 200Gms, and I don't go above a 4oz lead + bait to avoid overstressing the rod.
Have always read that Pendulum casts are a no-no with a Continental rod, and I can't get on with Multiplier reels or Braid, so have stuck to F/S & Mono.
As Just One said, weed in the top eye can be a problem, and both of my rods have very small tip rings - I can't even leave the smallest of rig clips on the leader as it won't go through the rings. Good luck with your search - far better folk on here than me to offer advice! 👍👍

Sonic ht gravity’s £300 Italiancans like thony said £400 or century t 700 £500 +few weeks back I was casting in a Field with my club I was able to put a lead 150 + yards with my gbfs constantly I had a go with my mates t700 and first cast hit 176 yards this was with an off the ground cast contis won’t by you distance still need to compress them Obviously the minute you put bait on you are gonna drop 30 yards ish
But if your arfter a mixed ground long rod 14 ft fire blades might be worth a look but have seen a video of a guy in Scotland banging out 150 lb commen skate on the t700 s so there up for the job and if your doing an over head thump off the beach with bait and thinking oh that’s got to be a 100 yards chances are it’s half of that bud

Replied to you elsewhere!
Go have a look at Italcanna Dynamis is three piece two models they also do Graphene rods now. Just over £400 each.
Italcanna LA's "pure magic" Fishing version of a light sabre! ive all of them plus B4.
@chesilpete will confirm.
your reel will hold you back also likes of an Ultegra will give you more distance due to better spool and line lay
I've seen your reply thanks, and I'll definitely consider your advice. Refining my casting style and upgrading my reels makes a lot of sense too.

Continental rods

Hi Andy I myself have only been beach fishing a couple years & am no expert but your experience/path sounds familiar. I usually fish chesil and panic brought a pair of 14ft vercelli enygma magmas (4-6oz) during lockdown as wanting good bite detection however these rarely leave home as I found they get pulled around by the tide unless it’s flat, which it never is. Stepped up to a pair of 2nd hand vercelli centinnel ts (100-300g) again 14ft which I mainly use. My casting isn’t great so still get the same problem if it’s rough, which it usually is. Did try a six & bait out the other day which seemed to whack it out there & now wondering if that’s the route to take? Though it did seem a bit broomstick like? (All fixed spool)

I guess it depends where you’re fishing and how far you need to cast obviously sometimes the fish are In close & your budget.

The only other thing I would add is with the continental rods if you are using a shock leader in weedy conditions the knot/weed jams in the top eye every time very annoying & harder to clean off than when it comes down to the reel & worse when you have a fish on.

Apologies if I have stated the obvious, will be keen to hear other people’s opinions

Cheers
Cheers for your reply.

Conditions at the marks I fish are rarely calm either, and some places have quite a strong tide run, which is why I'm not looking for anything too flimsy.

I do ok with my current casting distances, but on more than one occasion, when I've fished with someone who could cast much further than me, they did a lot better, so I would at least like to have the option of being able to achieve greater distances.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that continental rods have relatively small tip rings too, I tend to fish braid straight through, so it might not be a problem then, but at several marks I fish, a leader is essential for abrasion resistance, so the size of the tip ring could well be an issue.

Can't help much Andy, as the 2 Continental rods I use are quite light, and I only fish Piers or clean shingle anyway. I think both of my Rods are rated 100 - 200Gms, and I don't go above a 4oz lead + bait to avoid overstressing the rod.
Have always read that Pendulum casts are a no-no with a Continental rod, and I can't get on with Multiplier reels or Braid, so have stuck to F/S & Mono.
As Just One said, weed in the top eye can be a problem, and both of my rods have very small tip rings - I can't even leave the smallest of rig clips on the leader as it won't go through the rings. Good luck with your search - far better folk on here than me to offer advice! 👍👍
Thanks for the reply too, it's much appreciated (y).

Sonic ht gravity’s £300 Italiancans like thony said £400 or century t 700 £500 +few weeks back I was casting in a Field with my club I was able to put a lead 150 + yards with my gbfs constantly I had a go with my mates t700 and first cast hit 176 yards this was with an off the ground cast contis won’t by you distance still need to compress them Obviously the minute you put bait on you are gonna drop 30 yards ish
But if your arfter a mixed ground long rod 14 ft fire blades might be worth a look but have seen a video of a guy in Scotland banging out 150 lb commen skate on the t700 s so there up for the job and if your doing an over head thump off the beach with bait and thinking oh that’s got to be a 100 yards chances are it’s half of that bud
Thanks Joe, you're not the first to mention the 14ft Fireblade, so I'll definitely look into it.

I'll get myself some casting practice over the winter too, my technique could certainly do with polishing up.

I've seen your reply thanks, and I'll definitely consider your advice. Refining my casting style and upgrading my reels makes a lot of sense too.

Cheers for your reply.

Conditions at the marks I fish are rarely calm either, and some places have quite a strong tide run, which is why I'm not looking for anything too flimsy.

I do ok with my current casting distances, but on more than one occasion, when I've fished with someone who could cast much further than me, they did a lot better, so I would at least like to have the option of being able to achieve greater distances.

Thanks for pointing out the fact that continental rods have relatively small tip rings too, I tend to fish braid straight through, so it might not be a problem then, but at several marks I fish, a leader is essential for abrasion resistance, so the size of the tip ring could well be an issue.

Thanks Joe, you're not the first to mention the 14ft Fireblade, so I'll definitely look into it.

I'll get myself some casting practice over the winter too, my technique could certainly do with polishing up.
Off the ground with fixed spool is perfect mate

Cheers for your reply.

Will say braid straight through will hammer distance! i'm on 80-100lb Braid leaders and around .24 braid mainline Daiwa J braid Grand and Shimano Kariyaki 8 strand both cast very well and grand is a lot better than plain J braid

For what it's worth, it's not the tackle holding you back.
Learning a sound casting technique will be far more beneficial than new rods.
Doesn't have to be a pendulum cast. A ground cast will do just as well.

Before I had my back mended a month ago, I went retro with my rods.
An original daiwa Moonraker and an even older rod, a Brent of East Sussex, very floppy!
Even with those I was able to put a bait well past a measured 100yds using a ground cast.
Just food for thought before parting with your hard earned £££

For what it's worth, it's not the tackle holding you back.
Learning a sound casting technique will be far more beneficial than new rods.
Doesn't have to be a pendulum cast. A ground cast will do just as well.

Before I had my back mended a month ago, I went retro with my rods.
An original daiwa Moonraker and an even older rod, a Brent of East Sussex, very floppy!
Even with those I was able to put a bait well past a measured 100yds using a ground cast.
Just food for thought before parting with your hard earned £££

I also have an old Moonraker somewhere, so maybe I should dig it out 😅.

On a more serious note, that's a very valid point about polishing up my casting technique. I've fished for many years now, so my casting isn't the worst, and I can cast OTG, but there's always room for improvement ;).

Will say braid straight through will hammer distance! i'm on 80-100lb Braid leaders and around .24 braid mainline Daiwa J braid Grand and Shimano Kariyaki 8
strand both cast very well and grand is a lot better than plain J braid

I'm currently using Berkeley Whiplash 8, with 24lb on one spool and 61lb on another. I use 103lb braid as a leader on the 24lb, but I fish the 61lb straight through without any problems.

I also have an old Moonraker somewhere, so maybe I should dig it out 😅.

On a more serious note, that's a very valid point about polishing up my casting technique. I've fished for many years now, so my casting isn't the worst, and I can cast OTG, but there's always room for improvement ;).

I'm currently using Berkeley Whiplash 8, with 24lb on one spool and 61lb on another. I use 103lb braid as a leader on the 24lb, but I fish the 61lb straight through without any problems.
when i get time i'l post a few pics up for you to see on reel tech.

Just an update on my recent hunt for a new rod.

After lots of great advice on here and a few other places, I managed to find a complete bargain of a once used BlackRock SS10, at a seriously knocked down price 😳.
318297273_2042690125924105_9019241487606916491_n.jpg

318329356_2042690182590766_298531791659427091_n.jpg

318438454_2042690219257429_2956498289530721698_n.jpg

And with the money I saved on the rod, I was able to buy a little something to go with it 😉.
318579718_2046523428874108_2048525302796964383_n.jpg

When are you getting them wet?
Unfortunately I'm still waiting for the braid to arrive, so it won't be until a club match next Sunday.

Back