• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Loose spigot

Mushty

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi All,
I did have a Quick Look on the forum but couldn’t find much…
I have a 1995? Century Formula Tip Tornado and I love it! But it has a loose spigot, right up to the whipping!
Any advice on successful remedies for tightening?

You can use candle wax or carbon spray to build up the spigot.
Alternatively I've used super glue and sanded it down when dry to fit.

Thanks, yeah I maybe have to get some carbon spray! 🤔

The carbon spray is only a temporary fix. Super glue can be used but better with bondaseal or similar. If the male is tapered then the correct, long term fix is to trim back the female a few mm at a time until a good fit is made. Obviously then you need to re-wrap the female where thread has been removed.

The carbon spray is only a temporary fix. Super glue can be used but better with bondaseal or similar. If the male is tapered then the correct, long term fix is to trim back the female a few mm at a time until a good fit is made. Obviously then you need to re-wrap the female where thread has been removed.
Ah cool, I have some bondaseal.
As far as I’m aware it’s not a tapered fit as the male is on the tip section?
I’ll give the sealer a go.
Thanks Stan

Ah cool, I have some bondaseal.
As far as I’m aware it’s not a tapered fit as the male is on the tip section?
I’ll give the sealer a go.
Thanks Stan
Just to add I think you can still get them rebuilt by Century with proper carbon resins and then they are turned to restore them like new ... it does cost more than the DIY Bondaseal job but its an option. You can also buy carbon resin that cures at lower temperatures these days too .. but they are expensive!

As Stan says Carbon Spray is not a fix, it makes the things worse as it hides the rattle and gums up the joint but gives during the cast so just hides the issue .... it was never made for repairs but for sealing the joints on coarse fishing Poles to stop the sections popping out and being lost - its a bloody menace, useless rubbish. Candle wax is the same .... just gums up the joint and then corrupts the carbon surface so its a bugger to get shot of if you want to resin repair it and need the joint clean. Candle wax is only good for putting on tapered spigots to stop them jamming ... bloody awful on parallel joints.

I have a TT from the same year .... if I get me way they will put it in the coffin with me when I go :LOL: ... nicest rod I've ever owned.

Just to add I think you can still get them rebuilt by Century with proper carbon resins and then they are turned to restore them like new ... it does cost more than the DIY Bondaseal job but its an option. You can also buy carbon resin that cures at lower temperatures these days too .. but they are expensive!

As Stan says Carbon Spray is not a fix, it makes the things worse as it hides the rattle and gums up the joint but gives during the cast so just hides the issue .... it was never made for repairs but for sealing the joints on coarse fishing Poles to stop the sections popping out and being lost - its a bloody menace, useless rubbish. Candle wax is the same .... just gums up the joint and then corrupts the carbon surface so its a bugger to get shot of if you want to resin repair it and need the joint clean. Candle wax is only good for putting on tapered spigots to stop them jamming ... bloody awful on parallel joints.

I have a TT from the same year .... if I get me way they will put it in the coffin with me when I go :LOL: ... nicest rod I've ever owned.
Thanks Blakdog
I think in the short term I’ll give it a coat of bondaseal as it’s coming into the season I wanna use it and look at getting it sent off for a rebuild next winter.
As you say it’s a cracking rod and I’ve had it from new, it’s perfect for surf Bass fishing and also I use it for fishing the stones foot during the summer eves with a slightly heavier urfe rig…its perfect for that!

Back