• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Lots of fish

Shirleycodlin

I am the god of hell fire
Staff member
Reaction score
Fished the end of the power station concrete rd at Dungeness this afternoon with Jax.
Just the one rod each, Jax using a zziplex v Max F1 and penn fathom 12 , myself, a daiwa Moonraker supreme and daiwa 7600.
Rigs were size 1, 2 hook flappers.
Bait was frozen black lug.

Fish were caught at all distances with no particular distance producing more or better sized fish.
I wound in once with 1 fish and once with 0 fish.
Jax had double shots every cast, as were mine except as mentioned.
We had around 60 whiting, only one of them going over 27cm and 1 dogfish.
Most of the whiting were 6 to 8" long with emaciated body's.

IMG_20240107_152637.jpg

IMG_20240107_152626.jpg

Great effort Shirls, a nice bag of fish too. So, admit it, were you out fished.. :)

Ian.

Sad that the state of the whiting is indicative of the state of the seas around our island.
Our primary species are now substandard whiting, thornbacks and dogfish.
Has anyone on the Bristol Channel noticed the influx of some weird shellfish/oyster type thing on the rocks? Full of green gunge. I've seen loads and my son went to Shurton last week and sent me loads of pics, they are taking over.

There is something terribly wrong with the food chain. All the whiting I catch at dungeness are just spinal vertebrae without any flesh. There used to be loads of mussels between pett level and hastings under the cliffs: they have all disappeared. I see dead birds washed up on the shingle quite regularly over the past few years on this stretch of coastline... what is going on? Something fishy for sure.. It's not all overfishing I don't think

There is something terribly wrong with the food chain. All the whiting I catch at dungeness are just spinal vertebrae without any flesh. There used to be loads of mussels between pett level and hastings under the cliffs: they have all disappeared. I see dead birds washed up on the shingle quite regularly over the past few years on this stretch of coastline... what is going on? Something fishy for sure.. It's not all overfishing I don't think
For many years I've used a pushnet to catch brown shrimp around Lilstock, Kilve and Stolford.
Every year it takes longer to catch enough for a feed. We don't see the life in the rockpools either, we used to see thousands of immature flatfish in the pools at Stolford but very few now.

Great report & photos Shirls. Good haul of Fish, just a shame most of them were Tiddlers. 🎣🎣👍👍

Fished the end of the power station concrete rd at Dungeness this afternoon with Jax.
Just the one rod each, Jax using a zziplex v Max F1 and penn fathom 12 , myself, a daiwa Moonraker supreme and daiwa 7600.
Rigs were size 1, 2 hook flappers.
Bait was frozen black lug.
I was the guy who turned up to fish about half hour before you left by the bird hide!
I fished until about 6pm,
Fish every cast, whiting and dogs, then around dusk the dabs came on the feed.
Treble shots of them to mackerel strip, nothing huge but a welcome sight non the less.
I’m always amazed how a dab can slack line you!

Attachments

• IMG_6384.jpeg
    IMG_6384.jpeg
    408.4 KB · Views: 11
Hello @Mushty .
Wow, we fished daylight thinking that the dabs may get a look in before the sea rats.
Darkness is usually wall to wall whiting!

Out of interest, did you pick up the dabs at range?
I was a bit limited that day!
Shirl

Hello @Mushty .
Wow, we fished daylight thinking that the dabs may get a look in before the sea rats.
Darkness is usually wall to wall whiting!

Out of interest, did you pick up the dabs at range?
I was a bit limited that day!
Shirl
Hi @Shirleycodlin

I must admit I kind of expected Dabs from the off but then when you left I smelt a rat!!

I fished one at around 100yd and the other was around 140yd mark.
Interestingly the inshore rod started picking them up first but the further one seemed to get the better bites (same sized fish).

Something special to catch fish and to honour an angler past, by using his reel. Also proves that the fish don't know or care what you are leaning on the rod rest. Its not all about who spends the most money or has the latest kit. Good for you if you have the money and want to, but it sure don't guarantee fish. Getting out there and putting the time in does. Well done again.

One of Den's? I used to own one in the late 70s early 80s it reeled in a few gooduns,got to say the estuary whiting up here have been a better stamp this year not massive but 30 to 40 cm,dare say the pins will be back next year☹️good to see you out and about Shirl👍

One of Den's? I used to own one in the late 70s early 80s it reeled in a few gooduns,got to say the estuary whiting up here have been a better stamp this year not massive but 30 to 40 cm,dare say the pins will be back next year☹️good to see you out and about Shirl👍
No, I think (hope) Jimbo Jones has all of his tackle.
This was from another friend's father.

I still fish a fair amount, but trying to write something exciting about pout, whiting, dogfish and thornbacks is difficult. Especially when your cod filled writing mojo has disappeared.
I've still got to compile my Norway report from Feb 2023.

Something special to catch fish and to honour an angler past, by using his reel. Also proves that the fish don't know or care what you are leaning on the rod rest. Its not all about who spends the most money or has the latest kit. Good for you if you have the money and want to, but it sure don't guarantee fish. Getting out there and putting the time in does. Well done again.

A good angler will do well with what they are given.
It's watercraft that counts, that's why I struggle 😉

Back