• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Lumpsucker- How to catch them?

Stoker

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was wondering why there are not more reports of lumpsucker fish caught. I often see their egg cases on the shore line but I’ve never caught one or seen one. Is there any particular places where they are caught and what are they caught on?

There have been a few caught by rod and line from Swanage Pier over the years, a friend often gets them in his nets there. They live in the weeds, getting a bite is the first part, the easier bit, getting a thing like that through the weed would be a challenge, it's bad enough when a wrasse goes to ground.

Yup, it's tasty and a fraction of the price of Beluga caviar. I get wee jars of it for about £3.50 from Waitrose on those occasions I want to feel a bit posh. ?
Don't tell them it's "lumpfish roe"! The one I caught was accidental wouldn't of thought about targetting them!

Only ever caught 2.
One at Princess parade Hythe and one in Norway.
Both were total fluke and not targeted.

I was wondering why there are not more reports of lumpsucker fish caught. I often see their egg cases on the shore line but I’ve never caught one or seen one. Is there any particular places where they are caught and what are they caught on?
Surely lumpsucker do not have egg cases? I thought the female laid eggs in the rocks and the male guarded them to maturity?
Much more likely to be dogfish egg cases that you have seen??

Don't tell them it's "lumpfish roe"! The one I caught was accidental wouldn't of thought about targetting them!
Ah, Caviar - you've just reminded me! Watched a bit of the "Hairy Bikers Oop North" last night (7pm BBC 2) and they went to a "Caviar farm" somewhere in Yorkshire. The farm owner and his son have perfected a way of 'milking' Caviar from the Sturgeon without harming the fish. I think they said they were the only place able to do it in the World. Dave & Si were invited to put Waders on and walk around in the tanks with these 3ft+ Sturgeon swimming around them. Interesting to watch, and it's on the iPlayer. Series 1, episode 5 of 8.

Ah, Caviar - you've just reminded me! Watched a bit of the "Hairy Bikers Oop North" last night (7pm BBC 2) and they went to a "Caviar farm" somewhere in Yorkshire. The farm owner and his son have perfected a way of 'milking' Caviar from the Sturgeon without harming the fish. I think they said they were the only place able to do it in the World. Dave & Si were invited to put Waders on and walk around in the tanks with these 3ft+ Sturgeon swimming around them. Interesting to watch, and it's on the iPlayer. Series 1, episode 5 of 8.
Salmon are milked for breeding purposes so it will be possible.

Salmon are milked for breeding purposes so it will be possible.
It actually shows them doing it on a dummy fish that they use for training staff & to show visitors! I've downloaded it to watch again, as I was cooking tea in the kitchen, with my back to the TV most of the time.

Just found the website - £130 for 25gms. ???

A mate of mine caught a 5lb lumpsucker in a rock pool behind the Lido in Margate quite a few years ago. That was with a net though..

Back