• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Mackerel madness

bananas

Reaction score
Met up with Rockmarks yesterday, the idea was to worry the Wrasse population on the breakwater, but another fish had other ideas. As we walked up to our mark we could see loads of movement on the inside, Mackerel tons of them, I said to Martyn that Ill pop some feathers on and get a few for bait and the dog when we get to our spot. Sabikis on, quick scramble down the rocks, 3 flip outs, 12 Mackerel out!!, that's enough for me and the dog, back up on the wall Martyn had just cast out for the Wrasse and was hit on the way down by 2 Mackerel WTF, his next cast same again, 2 mackerel, as I was retackling up, we noticed lots a Mackerel swimming along the outside wall towards the beach, both of us agreed it was going to be a problem getting our gear to the bottom for any other type a fish, and we was right, macky after macky was hitting us. I popped a heavier pebble on and got that to the bottom untouched and did manage to pull a Ballan out and a bit later a few Pouting and Goldsinny got to the bait before the Maccys did.
The column of Mackerel swimming along the wall hadn't stopped while we were fishing and was still going when we packed up 3 hours after starting. The odd thing was we didn't see any bait fish at all, guess they had chomped the lot, they were even swimming very close to the seals and they weren't bothered by them, they must have been stuffed with Mackerel as well.
Impressive to see this amount a fish but really killed the other fishing off.

Met up with Rockmarks yesterday, the idea was to worry the Wrasse population on the breakwater, but another fish had other ideas. As we walked up to our mark we could see loads of movement on the inside, Mackerel tons of them, I said to Martyn that Ill pop some feathers on and get a few for bait and the dog when we get to our spot. Sabikis on, quick scramble down the rocks, 3 flip outs, 12 Mackerel out!!, that's enough for me and the dog, back up on the wall Martyn had just cast out for the Wrasse and was hit on the way down by 2 Mackerel WTF, his next cast same again, 2 mackerel, as I was retackling up, we noticed lots a Mackerel swimming along the outside wall towards the beach, both of us agreed it was going to be a problem getting our gear to the bottom for any other type a fish, and we was right, macky after macky was hitting us. I popped a heavier pebble on and got that to the bottom untouched and did manage to pull a Ballan out and a bit later a few Pouting and Goldsinny got to the bait before the Maccys did.
The column of Mackerel swimming along the wall hadn't stopped while we were fishing and was still going when we packed up 3 hours after starting. The odd thing was we didn't see any bait fish at all, guess they had chomped the lot, they were even swimming very close to the seals and they weren't bothered by them, they must have been stuffed with Mackerel as well.
Impressive to see this amount a fish but really killed the other fishing off.
It’s the end of the world the mackerel are taking over , ps don’t tell the trawler guys

Nice report Bob! Good to hear there were so many fish about, even if not your target. ????

Was out with John about a month ago, and we did quite well on the Mackerel at MB, been out a couple of times since and not had a single one. No sign of the baitfish we saw on the 1st trip either.

Back