• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Mission conger 2021/22 – Part 7.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After Tuesday’s disappointment on the conger front, I had 1 more chance to catch Congerzilla before Christmas, so Thursday night saw me heading out again for my 100th fishing session of the year. With the South Westerly winds now back with a vengeance, I headed for shelter at the North of the island but this time I took reinforcements with me, in the form of none other than Stevie A, old Goldenb***s himself, the conger didn’t stand a chance ?. We arrived at our chosen venue to find decent enough conditions, with only a light swell, and though the promised cloud cover was completely non-existent, meaning nothing would block out the light of the bright moon, the sheer depth of water should be enough to encourage the eels to feed.

As it happened, we barely had to wait 5 minutes before the first bites of the night, as both mine and Steve’s baits were attacked almost immediately ?. Then after giving the bites a few minutes to develop, we both landed almost identical strap conger of around 1.5 – 2lb in weight ?.
Conger 1 23rd Dec 2021.jpg

With our target species landed on the first cast of the evening, we were feeling very optimistic for the hours ahead and our optimism was certainly well founded. For the next 4 hours we each had bites on pretty much every cast and though we didn’t connect with them all, we still caught steadily.
Conger 2 23rd Dec 2021.jpg

Conger 3 23rd Dec 2021.jpg

By the time we packed in at 00:30, Steve had 4 conger to his name, while I had 3 eels plus a solitary doggie, we had also dropped at least as many again, with several of them throwing the bait on the surface right in front of us ?. Although none of our fish had been bigger than about 2lb, and my quest for a 20lber shows no sign of coming to an end :rolleyes:, at least we had found good numbers of conger for a change (y).

So that’s another year of chasing monsters almost over and I would like to take this opportunity to wish everyone on here and their families a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, I hope 2022 brings you all the monsters you dream of ;).

Big conger are cannibals if you want to go down that road! Or try a hand sized wrasse!

Well done Andy, you've done good getting decent numbers of congers in a session. That biggun could be just one more cast away mate :). Cheers for the installments of this years conger hunts. I always enjoy them each winter and look forward to the next one (y)

Back