• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Mission conger 2021/22 – Part 8.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After a couple of sessions targeting some different species, it was time to get back on the conger trail last night and with it being a weekend, I had some company for a change. I was joined by Steve A and our chosen venue was one which I have been reliably informed, produces conger to the magic size of 20lb+ ?.

After having a tooth extracted earlier in the day ?, I had to wait for the anaesthetic to wear off before heading out, but we were still able to get away quite early and by just after 17:30, we were on the road ?.

Just over an hour later and the first baits were in the water, Steve started off with a large squid bait fished close in, while his second rod was set up with a boom rig armed with size 4s, to see what mini species might be around, and hopefully to catch some fresh conger bait. I also started with a large bait fished close in, a mackerel and squid cocktail, but for my second rod I chose a 3-hook flapper rigged with 1/0s, which I cast into the deeper water further out.

With perfect conditions for spending an evening by the water, we were hopeful of a productive session but things got off to a very slow start. The first piece of action came over an hour later on my flapper rig and at around 1.5lb, it was around 10% of the size of my last eel, but at least it was the target species ?.
Conger 1 Jan 15th 2022.jpg

We both hoped this was the start of a good session but tings stayed quiet and over the next 4 hours, I only managed another 3 straps ?.
Conger 2 Jan 15th 2022.jpg

Conger 3 Jan 15th 2022.jpg

Conger 4 Jan 15th 2022.jpg

Interestingly, all of them fell to small baits fished on the flapper rig, while my large conger baits remained completely untouched :cry:.

While I had caught our intended target, Steve on the other hand had a very quiet evening, with just 3 whiting falling for his smaller baits. Interestingly though, one of those whiting did come back with a serious set of teeth marks down its sides :oops:, this proved that there was indeed a toothy predator out there, but sadly on this particular night, it didn’t want to come and say hello ?.

Nice one Andy, you've been nailing the target species recently, well done :cool:(y)

Back