• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia North beach - gt Yarmouth the return

Gary Essex

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So returned a week after my last session but planned around the tides a bit better. Fishing was 1 down and 4 up this time.
Set up a bit further south but not quite at the boating lake.
The weed is a pain on the ebb so kept close until slack water....and soaked a few squid!
It got better though. The tide run slowed and i cast further out. The lines were high from the rod tips and i caught....a seagull... flew straight into the line. I always believe there is a learning experience to all fishing 1) seagulls give a good rattle on the tip as they drop to the sand 2) put a cloth over their head to avoid biting and they will throw up on it for you! 3) bring a spare cloth 4) untangling a feathered flappy thing is a pain 5) my massive bag of leads was worth bringing as the tripod did not fall over, and finally 6) seagulls can spot a chip at 500yrds but cannot see bright red line.

All the above was confirmed with the second seagull 30mins later teaching me 7) don't throw your old hook bait near your lines to the sea!

Now amateur hour was done with...a nice rattle on the tip brought in an eel on squid. Love catching eels when my only cloth was dripping with seagull vomit. Decided my shirt will be a new cloth. Rod back out and next up was another of the baby smoothies around an hr after low.

The worm rod shook and in came a dab. 2 more smoothound pups on squid as the sun went down.

Time to go for something big now, getting dark and tide speedingbup on the flood. Double squid on a pennel rig. I swear, its out for 5 mins, tip sitting nicely and it rattles, goes slack.. this is more like it.. but i found a nice ray or hound on the end? No, not 1 but 2 yting! One on each hook.
Recast and brought in the other rod and a double shot of pin yting on the 2 hook rig.

Pennel rod goes and another yting..as big as my bait!

Using all my years of experience i decided on a change of tactics to combat the yting shoal. I packed up & went home!
Another enjoyable day with no monsters but great to get out and see some fish. Surprised to see yting so early in the year but not one of my normal areas to fish.
I might use the conti rods next time for such specimens.

Thanks

Nice report Gary! Shame about the vomiting Shitehawks! ?? (y) (y)

good report mate, two seagulls in a session is pretty good going, :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:, well done on the whiting haul tho(y)(y)

Back