• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales North Gower surf beach revisited

VooDooMan 2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
With a decent size tide and hopefully decent weather , yesterday afternoon saw us heading once again to ,what is now becoming, a favourite venue for two 70+ sea anglers. Two rods each;and I'm pleased to report that Veals handled the issue of the broken reel very well and Graham is now using a nicely balanced pair of Italian conti beach casters matched with decent Penn FS reels. Bait was a lb of blow lug each along with some razor clams and mackerel . I spent some time explaining to him the pitfalls of fishing in a blustery side wind , new weather conditions for him, along with how to manage his bait supply so that after about 4.5 hrs of fishing he would not have any worms left over. Managed ,once again, to get our favoured spot just up tide from the stream. Two other anglers set up the other side at about the same time us, noticed they only had one rod each. The blustery wind and strong surf made bite detection difficult but it wasn't long before the novice showed his skill by landing a small bass. As the tide flooded , the sun setting and the water became deeper the fish started feeding . Total was me " THE TEACHER" one smallish bass , " THE NOVICE " 4 bass, the largest of which was just below minimum size for keeping , and 2 flounder . one of which he'd foul hooked and it came in sideways which made him think it was much bigger. So I was well beaten in fish caught but my reward as always is I now have a good fishing mate which means I can get out much more than in the recent past plus the enjoyment of watching him catch a few fish. I did notice the other two anglers has landed one or two bass , with one of them looking a decent size keeper. No fishy pictures just a couple of scenic shots IMG_20210517_205251_9.jpgIMG_20210517_205238_9.jpg
Had a chat with the other anglers when we got back to the car park and they confirmed one keeper bass . Interesting chat as they had driven from the Cardiff area and do so on a regular basis . Always only use one rod and only use lug as bait and they said thet normally go home with at least one keeper . Graham had all his bass on lug and the flounder on razor clam .
Anyway the walk off the beach and the drive home was a pleasure and somewhat different from our last expedition :D

With a decent size tide and hopefully decent weather , yesterday afternoon saw us heading once again to ,what is now becoming, a favourite venue for two 70+ sea anglers. Two rods each;and I'm pleased to report that Veals handled the issue of the broken reel very well and Graham is now using a nicely balanced pair of Italian conti beach casters matched with decent Penn FS reels. Bait was a lb of blow lug each along with some razor clams and mackerel . I spent some time explaining to him the pitfalls of fishing in a blustery side wind , new weather conditions for him, along with how to manage his bait supply so that after about 4.5 hrs of fishing he would not have any worms left over. Managed ,once again, to get our favoured spot just up tide from the stream. Two other anglers set up the other side at about the same time us, noticed they only had one rod each. The blustery wind and strong surf made bite detection difficult but it wasn't long before the novice showed his skill by landing a small bass. As the tide flooded , the sun setting and the water became deeper the fish started feeding . Total was me " THE TEACHER" one smallish bass , " THE NOVICE " 4 bass, the largest of which was just below minimum size for keeping , and 2 flounder . one of which he'd foul hooked and it came in sideways which made him think it was much bigger. So I was well beaten in fish caught but my reward as always is I now have a good fishing mate which means I can get out much more than in the recent past plus the enjoyment of watching him catch a few fish. I did notice the other two anglers has landed one or two bass , with one of them looking a decent size keeper. No fishy pictures just a couple of scenic shots View attachment 9475View attachment 9476
Had a chat with the other anglers when we got back to the car park and they confirmed one keeper bass . Interesting chat as they had driven from the Cardiff area and do so on a regular basis . Always only use one rod and only use lug as bait and they said thet normally go home with at least one keeper . Graham had all his bass on lug and the flounder on razor clam .
Anyway the walk off the beach and the drive home was a pleasure and somewhat different from our last expedition :D
A decent and less e\/entful session. It really is a cracking beach when it's pretty empty like that. The GG's should be starting to show there soon if your mate fancies a go at something different

A decent and less e\/entful session. It really is a cracking beach when it's pretty empty like that. The GG's should be starting to show there soon if your mate fancies a go at something different
I certainly intend to take him there when the weather is warmer and the GG's are showing . It seems at the moment the local bait diggers are having problems finding enough maddies to make it worth their time digging them . Hope the situation changes as they are definitely the top bait for the GG's . Mid week early or late means we should avoid most of the surfers :rolleyes:

Back