• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Not a bad first weekend

StaffsAngler

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
To think that I came to north wales for my first outing with a somewhat less hopeful attitude was soon to change,

This weekend I was accompanied by a carp/pike angling friend of mine from Stratford upon Avon who had never had the joy of drowning a bait in that salty pot of gold…..

To set the scene, the weather on arrival on Friday evening wasn’t ideal, heavy winds and rain colliding with the caravan made for my ideal sleeping soundtrack but didn’t leave me much faith for the following day. I was very wrong, Saturday morning came and we were graced with a beautiful sunny day with some light but manageable wind, quick trip to the tackle shop for a few of the usual bits and we were on our way to the mark. Not my usual style but we arrive an hour before low tide and went for a little stroll around the rocks made clear by a low tide. Whilst having a little forage around we came across a large amount of shark egg sacks or more commonly, mermaids purses. I can only assume the spring tides the previous week had washed them a shore.

Anyway, we finally got set up and lobbed out a couple of mackerel/squid cocktails out on a 1up 1down and within 30 seconds I was into my first fish….. good old faithful doggy, followed by another…. And then another. This continued pretty consistently up to high tide. Usually they are a huge pain in the back side but when your accompanied by someone who’s never been shore fishing it’s rather great to just provide the sport… and he loved it as did I!!

As well as the hose of dog fish I was fishing a small rig down into the rocks, that provided a little rockling, and some small herring ( i think ). Although the biggest bitter sweet moment of the day was probably the hardest bite on my baits out at distance, hitting into the bite I felt the instant weight and it felt better that the dog fish, whilst bringing it in I noticed it hadn’t surfaced, something that doggies seem to do pretty fast. Anyway I got it around 20 yards from the shore when I noticed the BIGGEST lobster I have ever seen was on my bait….. praying it was hooked and not just grasping my bait I starting to pull it up the side….. I knew I should have bought my drop net because a meter out of the water the little blighter let go and swam away into the depths! I was devastated but it was still a brilliant story to tell! All in all gents it was a bloody fantastic little trip and I’m hopeful it’s a good sign of a revived year on north wales that can only get better!!

Tight lines! ? ?

Nice report Staffy - shame about the Lobby managing his escape. (y)(y)

Sounds like a good trip mate, well done!

I always think lobsters look too cute and put them back, even the big ones ???
I put them back in a pot of boiling water, same with prawns :p

Well done mate sounds like a great trip , shame about the lobster, it was probably a female anyway, and would of had to go back

Back