• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North West Otterspool round 2

FishAmaniac

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,

After a weekend off from fishing I was itching to get out again.
This week's chosen mark was otterspool. The cod hunt continues...
This week I was joined by Tommy again and Steve also came along to try and open his '23/24 cod account.
We met at 7 and made our way to our usual area.
Steve was 1st to catch. A plump flounder on his rod fished close in. This rod was very busy for most of the session producing plenty of flatties and whiting. Tommy was second to catch with a whiting. I was left wondering if sticking it out with big baits on both rods was a good idea...
Thankfully, I did eventually get a bite that was obviously something other than a whiting.
A couple of good nods and then some slack line. I wound up the slack and leaned into the fish. Definitely not a whiting. A couple of telltale thuds gave it away and it felt fairly heavy. But was it as big as Tommy's from a couple of weeks ago?
It kept its head down right until I got it to the wall. It was a decent fish, but clearly not as big as the one we'd had on the last session.
Still a good fish for the Mersey. 53cm and 4lb and I'm a happy chappie.
Steve and Tommy also had a strap conger each which was something different to see.
Unfortunately no more cod showed, it seems they're still thin on the ground.
Here's some pics...
IMG_20231104_142014.jpg

Screenshot_2023-11-04-19-56-14-141_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpgScreenshot_2023-11-04-19-55-49-028_com.miui.gallery-edit.jpgIMG_20231104_142044.jpgIMG_20231104_142039.jpgIMG_20231104_142048.jpgIMG_20231104_142054.jpg

Great report mate. Nice mixed bag, and lovely pics too.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nice report and some lovely photos FishA! Fine Coddie! Same as what Ian ^^ said! 🎣🎣👍👍

Hopefully we see more of these better stamp fish this year. Last year most of them were 1.5 - 3lb with the odd better fish in and amongst.
I've only heard of 3 coming out so far this season (there are probably more...) 7lb, 6.5lb and 4lb. 🤞 For more of the same...

Back