• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Out again

Thrasher

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Had another couple of sessions sunday and monday, what a difference a couplevof weeks make. Buzzers hatching all over and fish up and at em.

Cormorant, black gnat, snatcher and cruncher in some black varaition did the business on sunday but wouldn't buy a fish on monday. On monday they all came to a black and orange nomad.

Well done Thrasher. Good to hear that some buzzer were hatching. Most of our local waters are opening up from Monday next week so as long as it's not too windy I will be taking a boat on the local reservoir for a day or two next week.

Like Ollie, I have a few new patterns to try. Might start the season with a few snake patterns and a sinking line though, as it has been a bit cold around here and the fish are probably going to be deep.

What sinker are you using mate? I’ve never used one before, don’t fish anywhere deep enough that my inter wasn’t sufficient enough!

I bought some Airflo sixth sense when they went on sale.

Slow intet, fast inter, Di3, Di5, Di7.

I use the inters most.
They seem to be ‘the’ line for sinkers! Been thinking of getting one because I intend on trying a reservoir this year but mostly because I have one empty spool and it annoys me?

which of the di’s sees the most action thrash??

What sinker are you using mate? I’ve never used one before, don’t fish anywhere deep enough that my inter wasn’t sufficient enough!
Intermediates are great when you are fishing sub-surface and are not sure if the fish are feeding just under the surface or down to about two feet, or if they are coming short to flies on the surface, but early season, when I want to get down deeper, or on to the bottom I will use a Di5 or even a Di7 if I am on a deep reservoir.

An intermediate line will get you down there eventually, but they have two down sides. Firstly, I don't want to be sitting waiting for two minutes whilst my flies sink deep enough, but second, when you start to retrieve an intermediate line it will automatically start to rise in the water, pulling the flies onto an upward slope. With a sinking line it will either be holding the flies on a level retrieve for longer, or in the case of something like a booby, it will continue to pull it on a downward movement for longer. An intermediate line just won't achieve this.

A Di5 line sinks at an approximate rate of 5 inches per second, so if I am fishing on a water that is 5 feet deep I know my line will be on or near the bottom in approximately 12 seconds. (The tip will always sink slightly slower) A faster sinking line when the fish are deep will give better presentation compared to an intermediate, but it will also save me a lot of time, as I would probably have to wait three or four times as long for the intermediate to sink to the same depth.

They seem to be ‘the’ line for sinkers! Been thinking of getting one because I intend on trying a reservoir this year but mostly because I have one empty spool and it annoys me?

which of the di’s sees the most action thrash??
Probably much the same really on the Di's. My most used line will be the fast inter across the season.

I do have a Di3, think I've used it twice. Normally just stick with the floater.

I do have a Di3, think I've used it twice. Normally just stick with the floater.
The Di's and inters are accompanied by the wychwood big dipper and little dipper sink tips, airflo sixth sense midge tip and a snowbee xs floater soon to be retired due to age and condition.

Our reservoirs are now any method, so haven't bothered fishing them. I use trout lakes and rivers where fly fishing only is allowed.

Our reservoirs are now any method, so haven't bothered fishing them. I use trout lakes and rivers where fly fishing only is allowed.
Mention 'any method' around here and it will get you shot!

There was even a protest when they increased the length of fly allowed.

Mention 'any method' around here and it will get you shot!

There was even a protest when they increased the length of fly allowed.
Agree it should of never been allowed for fish mongers. Look up Bewl Reservoir in Kent or Hanningfield in Essex.

Back