• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Outing at Aberaeron

Mike James

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Went out today fished from 15:30 to 19:00. Was plagued by quick knocks on the short rod and every time I brought it in the bait was gone. Was using 3 hooks connected to t knots. At 6 I think I found the culprits have looked on net I believe I Had a boullions wrasse. According to net they are quite rare so if it is what I think it is I am quite chuffed. Must have hooked this one as I picked the rod up while it was knocking. Also had three 50cmish doggies last of which turned up at 7. All in all a decent fishing session. Cant wait to see if I cant get into cod and whiting now the nights are drawing in.
Would be pleased if anybody could confirm this

Attachments

• boullions wrasse.jpg
    boullions wrasse.jpg
    477.5 KB · Views: 24
The species you are referring to is the Baillons wrasse which would be very unusual. Unfortunately, I don't think it is one. Sorry. Looks like a female corkwing to me which are very common around here.

The Baillon's Wrasse has red fins and a distinctive single dark blotch on the dorsal fin, also small orange spots around its mouth.

see here

That's a female corkwing.

The Baillon's, once a rare fish, is becoming much more common along the south coast of England I haven't noticed any reports of them being caught in Wales

Cheers . Thanks for the update. I have only been sea fishing 2 years so not fully up to date with sea fish. Was a big course fisherman. I just searched internet to try and find it.

No worries Mike James , I've been fishing 40 + years & I still have to look up some fish occasionally !!??

Back