• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Penn Tidal XR rods

Grimleyfiendish

Reaction score
As i'm getting into my older years I'm finding after fishing with the usual two piece rods (AFAW Tourn match's, Zulcron matches, rods of that'ilk' ) i'm really aching for a couple days after, I mean sleep affecting aches, mainly legs and back. Thinking ahead last year I bought some Conti style rods and fixed Spool reels ( Hellrazors, Tronixpro's and a pair of Mitchell Suprema 's casting up to 250gm ) anyhow, thought about the new Tidal XR 4/8oz rods as I'm not entirely convinced with the ones I have, particularly if I have to bully a fish a little or lift, So I managed to track down a Tidal XR 420 4/8oz in a shop to look over, my impression is it's exactly the same rod as the Mitchell Suprema, even the livery is very similar, my question is , is it the same rod or is the Penn Tidal XR a different rod under the bonnet, because it looks and smells the same, just rebadged for Penn ( I think Penn and Mitchell both come under the banner of Pure fishing ) so would I be throwing cash away on the same ?

As i'm getting into my older years I'm finding after fishing with the usual two piece rods (AFAW Tourn match's, Zulcron matches, rods of that'ilk' ) i'm really aching for a couple days after, I mean sleep affecting aches, mainly legs and back. Thinking ahead last year I bought some Conti style rods and fixed Spool reels ( Hellrazors, Tronixpro's and a pair of Mitchell Suprema 's casting up to 250gm ) anyhow, thought about the new Tidal XR 4/8oz rods as I'm not entirely convinced with the ones I have, particularly if I have to bully a fish a little or lift, So I managed to track down a Tidal XR 420 4/8oz in a shop to look over, my impression is it's exactly the same rod as the Mitchell Suprema, even the livery is very similar, my question is , is it the same rod or is the Penn Tidal XR a different rod under the bonnet, because it looks and smells the same, just rebadged for Penn ( I think Penn and Mitchell both come under the banner of Pure fishing ) so would I be throwing cash away on the same ?

So many under the PF banner! You most likely hit nail on the head! one way is try one against other see how much it takes to bend to X

Slightly similar story 2 years ago. Decided I wanted a Penn Surfblaster for my Conti Rod but couldn't get a new one due to Covid shortages, so bought a Mitchell Blue water RZ 9000. A third the price of the Penn, and as you say, both made by Pure Fishing. Later on I managed to find a Surfblaster 2 secondhand locally, and there isn't a vast difference between the two reels in terms of quality. The Mitchell isn't an LC (long cast) so the spool isn't quite so deep, but it's a very good reel.

I also think there's more than a passing resemblance between the Mitchell RZ reels and the Penn reels but with a difference in price. the Mitchell suprema 3.0 are even priced similar to the Tidal XR's, can't be just coincidence.

Slightly similar story 2 years ago. Decided I wanted a Penn Surfblaster for my Conti Rod but couldn't get a new one due to Covid shortages, so bought a Mitchell Blue water RZ 9000. A third the price of the Penn, and as you say, both made by Pure Fishing. Later on I managed to find a Surfblaster 2 secondhand locally, and there isn't a vast difference between the two reels in terms of quality. The Mitchell isn't an LC (long cast) so the spool isn't quite so deep, but it's a very good reel.
They are previous Muff busters Affinty is top one then they get worked downwards over the years it's PF's method plus you find some sold by Wychwood and others also you have the ESP reels which are old Affinities/Mitchell reels but sold expensive!

Back