• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North West Perch Rock low 6/4/23

FishAmaniac

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all,
I haven't been out in a while but felt the need to get myself and the kids out for a few hours. We arrived early so the lads could have an hour or so in the arcades on the front before we started fishing. I think the time in the arcades cost more than the fishing trip o_O
We eventually made it down to the water about 3 and a half hours before low. We had the whole beach to ourselves, which is unusual at this venue. We made our way down walking towards the buoy. It was quite windy with the wind coming diagonally from behind. I decided to only set 1 rod up for the rays as I felt it could get tricky with the wind carrying the line to the right and the tide pulling to the left. Chosen rig was my ever faithful running up n over with a single 4/0 Fox FA with a 7oz lead. Bait was a whole squid.
The first cast was sent and it wasn't too long before we had our first indication, a good double slow tap. Not the ray bite I was hoping for. Struck into the bite, it felt heavy as I dragged the fish up the steep sandy bank, what was it....? Doggie 😮‍💨
Well, the blank was saved and I knew as the tide was ebbing things could only get better.
The next couple of casts proved to be fruitless and I was starting to get a little worried that I'd made the wrong decision with my choice of mark.
About an hour and a half before low we got our first proper bite, it nearly had the tripod over. I knew exactly what this was! My rod was doubled over as I dragged the fish up the sand bank. After a few minutes I was rewarded with my first ray of 2023, a nice thornie of around 5 or 6 lb, mission accomplished!

IMG_20230407_090441.jpg

The next 3 casts all resulted in similar sized fish...

IMG_20230407_090628.jpg
IMG_20230407_090611.jpg
IMG_20230407_090550.jpg

We packed up just after low. I was very satisfied with the result. I'm sure we'll be heading back there soon!

Attachments

• IMG_20230407_090611.jpg
    IMG_20230407_090611.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2
Nice report & photos FishA! Well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Nice one, good session that!

Did you let the kids catch any? 😂😂😂
It's really hard work pulling the fish up the sand bank there. My ttsmg was bent double pulling them up! Might have to stick to my 6 n baits at that mark.
I did set up a smaller rod with a 2 hook boom rig on which I was dropping short for the lads. They did get a few bites but I think I was a bit optimistic with 1/0 hooks. They were more interested in playing than fishing though to be fair 😂

It's really hard work pulling the fish up the sand bank there. My ttsmg was bent double pulling them up! Might have to stick to my 6 n baits at that mark.
I did set up a smaller rod with a 2 hook boom rig on which I was dropping short for the lads. They did get a few bites but I think I was a bit optimistic with 1/0 hooks. They were more interested in playing than fishing though to be fair 😂
Ah well, as long as they enjoyed it!

Nice report, and lovely pics. Well done mate. 🎣

Ian.

the smaller rays dig there wings in the sand there , keep them moving and they lift up in the water there :sneaky:

Back