• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Poole Quay. Spitfire, Hurricane, 10 species, a seagull and The Red Arrows!

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I was going to fish after hours on Swanage Pier, but the wind looked bad and the weed reports pretty dire. Not much good for float fishing or bottom fishing in those conditions and its a 3 hour round trip for me. The company there is good though and one of the guys that comes over works at the chip shop and brings chippy treats!

I had worms left from a pretty fruitless stinger trip with @DJDBazzer, but it was a good catch up with him and my first cast caught a swan! Yeah a bloody swan. I was baiting my second rod and the first one was pulling like mad. When l saw the swan, my heart sank. The last thing any of us want, is to be dealing with is a swan. Luckily the line snapped, leaving me even more bothered it was still tangled, but it paddled off and later my gear came in with a load of weed.

The decision was made by Haddock, on the assurance I would not moan if the fishing was poor! To fish Poole Quay. The air display was on at Bournemouth, but the traffic was ok. Set up with a tiny size 20 hook and snippet of worm on one rod and a little species rig with size 6 hooks on the other. The main target was a 2 spot goby.
20220901_154113.jpg
First in was a sand goby, much to Haddocks annoyance as he needs one. I had 3 in total!
20220902_185621.jpg
This was followed by a black goby, then a very nice example of a rock goby. Looks like a little crown on it.
20220901_132221(0).jpg
Had a lovely little green ballan wrasse.
20220902_185540.jpg
20220902_185658.jpg
Followed by a drab, but better size one. This was while the Spitfire, followed by a Hurricane and a Lancaster were circling overhead.

Put some small sabikis on for a sand smelt or herring or pilchard and got several sand smelt.
20220902_185926.jpg
There were lots of tiny bass and Haddock was plagued with pollack so I dropped down in his space and had one in seconds.
20220902_185801.jpg
I dropped into a little corner and caught 2 x black goby, but on 1 x size 20 hook. I tried to work out how, but 1 fell off so I will never know.
20220901_170602.jpg
Also had corkwing wrasse and black bream and tompot blenny.
20220901_171055.jpg
There was a low point to the day. This was best summed up by a voice from one of the hoards of people around saying. " Look, that man has caught a seagull!". After the swan this was worse, as I had to reel it in and it was one of those big stupid juvenile gulls and it was in full peck mode! We tried to get a cloth over its head, but it was having non of it. I cut the line and it was away no problem. Bloody nightmare though.

We were treated by the red arrows passing over minus 1 plane, as it had to drop out with weird engine management messages. Probably sucked my stupid seagull into its engine!
20220902_185338.jpg
Species caught x 10 as follows, and lots of them, but no new ones for my hunt. Haddock had similar.
Sand Goby.
Black goby.
Ballan wrasse.
Rock goby.
Sand smelt.
Bass.
Pollack.
Corkwing wrasse,
Black bream.
Tompot blenny.

Good luck if you are out. Back on the spotted rays again now.

Great write up and pics as usual Keith, well done on the fish you had out, (y)(y)plus a air display just for you as well :unsure: :ROFLMAO: .
Its getting harder to get a new species now.

Well done Keith, that area is a great plaice for black gobies and Corkies/ballan... Never had a goldsinny there though for some reason?‍♂️. ?

Great write up and pics as usual Keith, well done on the fish you had out, (y)(y)plus a air display just for you as well :unsure: :ROFLMAO: .
Its getting harder to get a new species now.
Thanks Bob. Yep not getting much new, even worse for you and Haddock with your numbers! The Poole visitors had double whammy entertainment with the planes and the releasing the pecky seagul show!

Thanks it was busy enough. The Lancaster was the most impressive, as it was circling Poole Harbour, whilst waiting to do its main display.

Back in the fifties and sixties displays were far more impressive, a display team of nine Lightnings taking off with full reheat is ground shaking and the bit where they all go from horizontal flight to full vertical climb gets the wax out of your ears...

Fast passes were fast enough to be followed by the double thump of air pressure in your body as the 'sound barrier' waves passed.

A Vulcan doing a barrel roll takes some beating as a spectacle.

A Mosquito at full chat takes some beating as a sound.

lanc.jpg

No way would i share my house with anglers they stink.
Harsh. Its only their clothes, boots, hands and tackle boxes! Oh and their sweaty bodies after a slog on the shingle. On second thoughts you are right. Not many anglers have those satanic eyes or make a decent curry though.

Operation catch-up on a few posts I hadn't got to!

Nice report & photos Goatee - well done on the Tiddlers! ????

Roast Swan used to be a Royal feast many years ago, but not much meat on a Seagull! ??

No way would i share my house with anglers they stink.
Bloody right they stink Pete, especially if using the Frozen Mackerel baits from one of our local tackle shops - never smelt anything so bad! ??

Back