• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Quantum Cabo PTSE

Battered

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Anyone got anything good to say about them?

I'm thinking of getting one to use on a 12lb boat rod, either the 40 or the 50 size. They were totally redesigned the reel in 2015 and I'm wondering if the PTSE version is as good as the old PTSD version. If not, I'll probably buy a Penn Spinfisher if the Cabo has gone to crap.

Anyone got anything good to say about them?

I'm thinking of getting one to use on a 12lb boat rod, either the 40 or the 50 size. They were totally redesigned the reel in 2015 and I'm wondering if the PTSE version is as good as the old PTSD version. If not, I'll probably buy a Penn Spinfisher if the Cabo has gone to crap.
Not come across the Cabo, but I've got an American Quantum baitcaster reel and it is excellent quality - good little bit of kit!

I've got two cabo 80s and also a spinfisher 4500ll.

The spinfisher is a good reel, but alot of money compared to what I paid for the cabos. It's a fairly solid little reel and works great for drifting for Pollack/plaice/etc... I think it has a quick drag which I'm not a fan of myself, but alot of people rave about quick drags, each to their own. The handle is quite short so reeling in is bloody hard work, I upgraded mine to something abit longer and it transformed the reel instantly (there's thread on this a while ago) others advised against this as it would stress the gears but so far so good, and if a reel has 20lb drag, I'd challenge anyone to put that pressure on the original handle. I've had Pollack to about 12lb on it so far without any issue at all.

The cabo 80s are great reels, got the sturdyness and solid feeling of some of the heavyweight reels (no rotor/spool/handle wobble) but they don't weigh as much as you'd expect from a reel of that quality (pretty sure they're on par with a surfblaster 7000). I'm not sure if the 40/50 size has a plastic rotor or spool maybe? I'm sure I read that somewhere a while ago. The biggest test these have had is Huss upto about 10-11lb, so not really a test, more like just reeling in?

Being totally honest, I got the cabos for rough ground fishing which they excell at , and the spinfisher for the boat work, they're tools to me so I got what I wanted for the purpose they're to be used for.

If I had neither right now and had to buy one to fish with on a light boat rod, I'm not sure which way I'd go, they are both great reels and do everything I've asked of them. The cabo looks better and feels nicer to use to me, plus I've been wanting a pair for about 5-6 years, so when I got a pair for under £300 (brand new) I couldn't resist. The spinfisher on paper sounds a great reel and is exactly what I wanted for a job but I think for me just doesn't feel as nice as the cabo. Mind, this is comparing a smaller spinfisher to a bigger cabo so not really a completely fair comparison.

What sort of fishing is the reel for exactly?

@Craig

Just general light fishing really. Mackerel, bream, plaice, that sort of thing. Thought I'd give the spinning rod a rest and buy something just for that job. Saw a good deal on a Penn Battalion and thought why not.

line management is pretty poor but its a lovely feeling reel.... love mine for light boat work.

Is yours one of the newer ones, made in China?

I'm not bothered where it's made really, just as long as it's still a good reel.

I’ve no experience of the Penn Spinfisher, but have owned two Cabo‘s for several years now. I‘m no expert on the internals but they feel like really solidly engineered reels. Proper lightweight workhorses they are. I reckon they’ll outlast all my other spinning reels. I think the 4000 would work well in a 12lb class set-up. I’ve had all sorts on mine (paired with a 15-50g spinning rod), from mackerel and Bream all the way to 30lb Tope.

Hth

Back