• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Rare daylight trip. 1st ray of the year 😁

Had1

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Had it in my head I really wanted a ray so went last Thursday first of the spring trips, whiting and dogfish , although felt close to getting one if you get that feeling haha.
Unexpected day off today so thought I'd have a go at the midday tide , 9 out of 10 trips are nighttime for me so felt strange .

Hatched a plan to bring my electric scooter in the car and use it along the promenade to get a couple miles away from the car park and didn't crash !

20230321_111100.jpg20230321_121907.jpg
Windy westerly pushing left to right and mix of cloud rain showers and sun 🌞

Big tide pull today. 1 rod pulley with whole squid a 4/0 and 1/0 circle top hook . 2nd rod running rig 1 size 4/0 and chunks of squid .

Fished from 1045 till 1330.

1st couple of casts nothing but baits attacked by crabs, then a few whiting knocks and landed one .
High tide came and went and just as the ebb really started pull.the rods round the whole squid rod dropped slack and after a bit of a tussle got the first ray of the spring in at a few pounds or so female . Happy with that ,had another cast and then lots of plastic started coming through catching my lines. Went after that .

20230321_125635.jpg20230321_125652.jpg

Nice 1 Had1! Great report, nice Ray. 🎣🎣👍👍

Whats it like traveling with all your kit on the scooter? Will it do much of an incline? Well done on the target rays
Was fine although I just took a bucket with all bits in plus the 2 rods and tripod strapped together ...anymore than that and I think it could be a disaster lol 😆 it will do inclines yes but struggles up massive hills although iv yet to find one where iv had to get off and push .

If you have the space in car then a pushbike would probably be more practical for anything but nice surfaces as no suspension.
Perfect for flat tarmac proms though . Went about 2 miles past where I would normally fish just because of the novelty lol.

Was fine although I just took a bucket with all bits in plus the 2 rods and tripod strapped together ...anymore than that and I think it could be a disaster lol 😆 it will do inclines yes but struggles up massive hills although iv yet to find one where iv had to get off and push .

If you have the space in car then a pushbike would probably be more practical for anything but nice surfaces as no suspension.
Perfect for flat tarmac proms though . Went about 2 miles past where I would normally fish just because of the novelty lol.
Thanks for the info. I have a pushbike with tubes fitted for rods and tripod. Also have a converted electric golf trolley, a modified mobility scooter (that is yet to be used) all can fit in my camper and were free or very cheap. Also a 1000cc motorbike with tubes fitted. I do like the idea of a scooter as they are so small and its good to cover as many bases as possible!!!! Pretty sure that off road scooters are available, but cost a bit. My ultimate transport/gear carrier would be something that would cope with Chesil shingle!

Thanks for the info. I have a pushbike with tubes fitted for rods and tripod. Also have a converted electric golf trolley, a modified mobility scooter (that is yet to be used) all can fit in my camper and were free or very cheap. Also a 1000cc motorbike with tubes fitted. I do like the idea of a scooter as they are so small and its good to cover as many bases as possible!!!! Pretty sure that off road scooters are available, but cost a bit. My ultimate transport/gear carrier would be something that would cope with Chesil shingle!

You need what I want Goatee! A Ziesel! They make all sorts of racks and storage for the rear, will even tow a trailer!

ziesel_web.jpg

Great report and pics mate, nice ray. Nice one. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

What a beast!
Yep, I'd love one, but according to this website, the price starts at around $25,000. 😮😮

Wouldn't be much use for around a supermarket though! 😁😁

Great session and write up, well done on the ray too. Loved the scooter idea, that's genius for traveling some distance to a mark!

@Goateeblank What you need is a quad bike, nothing special, just needs some wide tyres and I'm sure it would handle chesil, not sure if it would be legal to ride it over the shingle there though.... And it would easily fit in a sensible sized van. My old Kawasaki klf300 fits in my van easily, can even load it without ramps if needed as they're not that heavy.

Great session and write up, well done on the ray too. Loved the scooter idea, that's genius for traveling some distance to a mark!

@Goateeblank What you need is a quad bike, nothing special, just needs some wide tyres and I'm sure it would handle chesil, not sure if it would be legal to ride it over the shingle there though.... And it would easily fit in a sensible sized van. My old Kawasaki klf300 fits in my van easily, can even load it without ramps if needed as they're not that heavy.
Strange isn't it. A normal quad bike would seem unacceptable for Chesil or Hurst shingle Bank, but an electric quad would be ok?

Back