• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Advice Rechargeable lantern

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Looking for recommendations for a rechargeable lantern that can be used inside the igloo. Needs to have a magnetic connection and also I don't want something that is to intrusive just some background light.

I have looked at the following as I'm a big fan of Fenix as I have their head torches for trail running

Fenix CL20R small and compact

Fenix CL26R. Small compact great features bit on expensive side but you pay for what you get

Anything else out there worth a look at

A portable power bank is a good idea. I've got one that will fully recharge my phone over 3 times, and is also handy for headlights and these sort of lamps. It's only about the same size as my phone but a little bit thicker. Slips nicely into a pocket.

A portable power bank is a good idea. I've got one that will fully recharge my phone over 3 times, and is also handy for headlights and these sort of lamps. It's only about the same size as my phone but a little bit thicker. Slips nicely into a pocket.
I have a few of these for my trail running adventures and have saved me a number of times on the Welsh mountains

Have you considered something like this?
DARKBEAM UV 365nm Torch USB Magnet Rechargeable Flashlight Wood's Lamp LED Ultraviolet Blacklight, Detector for Pet Ringworm Cat Urine Stains, Resin Curing, Black Lights 365 nm Woods Lamp, 2 Pack https://amzn.eu/d/8AoWZLx

I have a very similar set. I have replaced the batteries with high quality, high capacity (3500mah) batteries.Hear me out....
Magnetic base and the cob led puts out a decent amount of light.
Using the belt clip you can clip them to your tripod head to light up your rod tips.
The uv light works really well for charging glow in the dark beads if you use them.
With a good battery they will stay lit for a whole session.

I have a 26R ( I prefer to change out pre-charged batteries) and its absolutely brilliant. That, a tripod light and a headlamp and I have tons of light. These modern lights are so small and lightweight for the power they give out, they so much more practical than the old Tilley lamp.

I bought a Coleman rechargeable base camp lantern a few months ago, great piece of kit, three light settings, 400 Lumens max and lasts for hours. Has a built in Bluetooth speaker (not used by me), but could be handy for some.. Cost me £35, bargain.

Ian.

Coleman 1.jpg
Coleman 2.jpg
Coleman 3.jpg

I used to use a Coleman petrol Tilly lamp the top used to get very hot hence I used to put my precooked beef. Burgers in tin foil

then just rest them on thebtop of the lamp they used to get hot so with a pre buttered buns it was a hot snack while fishing back in the early nineties
Back in 1973 when I started beach fishing, Tilly Paraffin lamps were used by most anglers, all there was in those days. Great lamps to be honest.. ;)

Ian.

Tbh I never felt the need for a base lamp, but did have a Tilley then a Coleman petrol - as said, wasn’t much choice a few decades ago

Right til they took a bit of a knock then the mantal fell to bits
Back in 1973 when I started beach fishing, Tilly Paraffin lamps were used by most anglers, all there was in those days. Great lamps to be honest.. ;)

Ian.
Wish I still had my tilly lamp or my anchor lamp.

Tbh I never felt the need for a base lamp, but did have a Tilley then a Coleman petrol - as said, wasn’t much choice a few decades ago
Wish I still had my tilly lamp or my anchor lamp.
Tilley lamps were a pain to get going, but once they were pressurised and lit, a tank of Paraffin lasted for hours, just needed to pumped every now and then, but as said before, the mantles were very delicate, and needed replacing every so often... (y)

Ian.

Tilley lamps were a pain to get going, but once they were pressurised and lit, a tank of Paraffin lasted for hours, just needed to pumped every now and then, but as said before, the mantles were very delicate, and needed replacing every so often... (y)

Ian.
They were okay for what was available at the time but it was more the carrying to rock marks part I didn’t enjoy…

They were okay for what was available at the time but it was more the carrying to rock marks part I didn’t enjoy…
They were certainly cumbersome mate, and didn't like being knocked about that's for sure..

Ian.

I have a 26R ( I prefer to change out pre-charged batteries) and its absolutely brilliant. That, a tripod light and a headlamp and I have tons of light. These modern lights are so small and lightweight for the power they give out, they so much more practical than the old Tilley lamp.

The one thing I like about this is the ability to have a front light only option. How much lighting does that give off?

If you fish off a pier or harbour arm, blue lights are recommended. Some places insist on them.

Tilley lamps were a pain to get going,(y)

Ian.
Not with a little gas blowtorch they weren't .... used to stick the blowtorch on the tilley which would give enough light to start setting up and fire up the tilley after the first rod was ready .... used to be very entertaining watching a beach load of muppets sodding about with those little meths burners :ROFLMAO:

As a night time boat fisher well used to be. White lights red light and green lights are all used in marine navigation and some nights the red tip lights can be seen from a long distance out to sea .
so yes that makes a lot of sense . I use orange tip lights .
Hope you had it in gear ready for the off when it was showing orange :ROFLMAO:

Back