• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Reel lubrication 🤔🤔🤔

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Good morning

Hope you're all well and catching plenty!

Quick question.
After a recent east coast trip, I washed and cleaned and dried out all my gear but...

Never got round to having a good look at my (fixed spool) reels.
Now, they seem to be very stiff to turn.

Novice question, but do you use oil or grease for lubing a fixed spool reel?

Light grease on the gears and a tiny drop of 3 in 1 oil on the main spindle, on the handle thread, the anti reverse ratchet and both ends of the bail arm. Wipe any excess away with a cloth.
If that doesn’t work, chuck it in the bin and buy another.

Or a multi 😇

Good morning

Hope you're all well and catching plenty!

Quick question.
After a recent east coast trip, I washed and cleaned and dried out all my gear but...

Never got round to having a good look at my (fixed spool) reels.
Now, they seem to be very stiff to turn.

Novice question, but do you use oil or grease for lubing a fixed spool reel?
Lightish Grease on the likes of gears and geared or worm driven oscillation systems - larger reels are fine with a slightly heavier grease NGLI2 but find an NGLI1 if possible on small fixed spools as the heavier grease tends to make them feel stiff in the cold. Light oil on handle knobs, bale arm, line roller etc.

One of the heaviest wear points is the oscillation shaft (the bit the spool is attached to). Light oil isn't up to that job and I always use a thin coating of grease and add a bead of oil along it's length as that seems to give a decent compromise between protection and free running.

Don't panic if you get it wrong and it runs a bit slow because you've chosen too stiff a grease ... just do it again with something else ... its no big drama. And check all the bearings in it because if it feels stiff its likely that one (or more) has gone rusty.

Back