• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Report one..

flappy

Reaction score
Went to my local trout lake.. where they do what I first started back in the nineties.. catch and release and adding stock fish as well.
Got there to find probably fifty rods out.. some of them on a corporate day out complete with beer barbecuing and hangers on.
The main lake was full of weed and was practically unfishable so I walked on.
The second lake had a weed cutting dredger in.. so that’s unfortunate … funny how they never told me that when I purchased my ticket…!!?
Next lake was rammed full of the normal angler and the corporate muppets thrashing the water into bits.. oh I thought.. this is going to be fun trying to catch in here but it was the only lake left.
So there I was. baking hot sunshine.. no wind.. flat calm..at 2 pm.. trying to catch four fish before I had to leave at 5 to do my farm work..?
So my usual six or eight flies came into play..
The classic holy grail

F01D8405-B9B6-46F6-8E78-07A5C708F91D.jpegF01D8405-B9B6-46F6-8E78-07A5C708F91D.jpeg

Usually catches on a slow figure of eight retreive.. but nowt after an hour of wandering…
Bugger I thought.. scratching my head…
..and probably other dangling appendages…
what next.. haha I will use another go to fly… titanium bug.. in black…
037CA3B7-D6AF-434A-9F32-BE27B4FEEA8B.jpeg037CA3B7-D6AF-434A-9F32-BE27B4FEEA8B.jpegNot a thing ..so trying it in white and green.. it’s a dead heavy fly and I can cast a full fly line and a yard of backing so fifty yards is about my best shot.. being heavy the fish usually takes on the drop and I fish these bugs sink and draw

So an hour or so after I am starting to panic.. four o clock and I haven’t had a take or a shy nip of a tail.. then I see a fish of about 2 lb just lurking under my rod tip. .so I shortened everything up to leave 6 foot or so of leader and just dropped the fly three inches in front of it’s nose.. on the drop..it just turned and bang.. fish on. god bless polarized sunglasses.

So I wandered around until I found about six fish lurking sulkily under a bush..stopped for a smoke for ten minutes or so..the lake was starting to empty of anglers and I was on my own in the far corner of the lake.

So I wandered around until I found about six fish lurking sulkily under a bush..stopped for a smoke for ten minutes or so..the lake was starting to empty of anglers and I was on my own in the far corner of the lake.
How long is this marathon going to take.1 thread but 7 posts so far.One way of clocking up your posts.? And now you've taken a break.Are you going to finish the thread or is that it.

Ok there’s me then looking at a few fish which occasionally moved out in front of the trees to lazily take flies from the surface then disappear into the depths of shadows again.. like I said about six fish from a pound and a half to about three and a half pounds and all slightly different colours so I could recognise each one of them.

I tied on a shuttlecock buzzer and waited for a while for a fish to slurp it down as they continue to feed.. but they ignored it .. each fish came to the fly.. looked at it and turned away.. exciting but annoying at the same time.
A selection of dries and sedges were tried but each fish came up and turned away.
I scratched my head and put on a small black klinkhammer that got an almost instant response.. each fish came up .. was about to take it then turned away. this carried on for nearly an hour.
I reckon they could see the line on the surface so I greased up the leader and applied some floatant to the fly .. which worked.. as first cast a fish of about 2lb nailed it.
Result was three fish on the bank inside twenty minutes.. job done.. a bit late as I didn’t leave until 6 but hey.CD82A912-30C8-46B0-87CA-D03AB97148B7.jpeg

Mate I am doing a six am until 8pm work shift at the mo.. then tea.. then bed .. so if you don’t let like it then sod off.
I used to work 14hr plus shifts on a daily basis whilst on the road so you're not doing something that is out of the ordinary as for sodding off stick it where you stick your arm, up your animals jacksy.Nice to see the report finished.(y) Well worth the read eventually.?

Great report and pictures, great fishing battle which you won in the end, well done (y)

Back