• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Returning to the beach..

martin_b

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Well after a break of about 25 years and with retirement approaching I’ve decided to have another go at sea fishing. (beach casting) Im an avid fly fisherman, but when the weather gets as hot as it has been its a bit of a waste of time so why not sit on the beach and enjoy the scenery :cool:

I’ve still got my old beach gear, Zipplex and Conoflex rods, Diawa and Abu multipliers, but they all date from the late 90’s, and I fear my pendulum cast may be a bit rusty by now (as is my body) , so Im thinking of getting a nice idiot proof fixed spool outfit for beach casting, can anyone recommend something suitable?

I live near Gatwick, Seaford and the Birling gap used to be my beach destinations of choice.

One other point that may be relevant is I’m a total certifiable tackle tart, (I currently have 21 fly rods) and I believe in “buy once cry once” and while my budget isn’t unlimited, its only the daughter inheritance Im spending, so lets try to keep rod plus reel to <£500,

Thanks in advance

Martin

Welcome to the Madhouse Martin, and good luck with your return to Sea dangling! Being of limited finance & limited mobility, my budget for a rod & reel would be about half of yours, plus I'm opposite side of the country, so best I leave any advice to those closer to your area & budget! Best of luck anyway! ????

Well after a break of about 25 years and with retirement approaching I’ve decided to have another go at sea fishing. (beach casting) Im an avid fly fisherman, but when the weather gets as hot as it has been its a bit of a waste of time so why not sit on the beach and enjoy the scenery :cool:

I’ve still got my old beach gear, Zipplex and Conoflex rods, Diawa and Abu multipliers, but they all date from the late 90’s, and I fear my pendulum cast may be a bit rusty by now (as is my body) , so Im thinking of getting a nice idiot proof fixed spool outfit for beach casting, can anyone recommend something suitable?

I live near Gatwick, Seaford and the Birling gap used to be my beach destinations of choice.

One other point that may be relevant is I’m a total certifiable tackle tart, (I currently have 21 fly rods) and I believe in “buy once cry once” and while my budget isn’t unlimited, its only the daughter inheritance Im spending, so lets try to keep rod plus reel to <£500,

Thanks in advance

Martin
A zippy with a Daiwa reel..... old school cool

Thanks in advance

Martin
Just use the stuff you have now, by the way the river mole/gatwick stream is not a good venue for beach casters or fly fishing. ;)

500 is a funny amount of money..... in general a high end rod is about 500 and a good fs reel about 200.
You have been away a while but back in the day your zips were 300 odd I expect and your daiwa reels north of 100.
So look at afaw gb fs pro and shimano power aero 14000.
Thats sort of comparable in quality but updated and will handle just about every eventuality.
Alternative rods in the medium heavy bracket are century tip tornado sport graphex, zip primo synchro, go and check your old zips if you have an old 3500 or similar just get it rebuilt.

Welcome aboard! Tackle is such an individual choice - old stuff still works well for me, tried lost snd lots of new stuff including many conti/fs/braid setups but it wasn't for me, as always there's so many ways to skin that cat. Enjoy your shopping but don't discount your older gear?

Just use the stuff you have now, by the way the river mole/gatwick stream is not a good venue for beach casters or fly fishing. ;)
Would seem the sensible thing to do but my abiding memories of my last sea fishing trips all involve birds nests!

What i might do is buy one new fixed spool outfit for distance work, then use either 7HT or the 6500 screwed down tight and one of my current rods as a near shore bass setup.

ops... While looking for the reels Ive just forund 2 more rods, a Century formula Tip tornado and a 13ft Drennan team England.

Last edited:
Honestly that old tt will cost 120 quid to sort out with hybrid rings and your good to go.
Unless you want to spend serious cash things have not changed as much as you may think.
Birds nests on an old 7ht..... usually means a bad set up. They can be calmed right down with 30 grade gear oil. The biggest problem you can create is putting loads of end tension on. It makes the reels grabby when you cast.

Can you sugest anyone local? All my favourite fly rod builders are either dead or retired :-(

Would seem the sensible thing to do but my abiding memories of my last sea fishing trips all involve birds nests!

What i might do is buy one new fixed spool outfit for distance work, then use either 7HT or the 6500 screwed down tight and one of my current rods as a near shore bass setup.

ops... While looking for the reels Ive just forund 2 more rods, a Century formula Tip tornado and a 13ft Drennan team England.
I know this is an old thread but you wouldn't still have the drennan rod would you im after another to pair up with the one I own cheers

I know this is an old thread but you wouldn't still have the drennan rod would you im after another to pair up with the one I own cheers
Welcome to the Madhouse Nomad.

Old thread indeed - martin_b hasn't been seen for 10 months.

Back