• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Sandwich Bay

Long Rod

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
So I was planning to do a night session on Thursday (18 May) but due to unforeseen circumstances had to do a day session (19 May) instead. Arrived about 7.30 am, set up and was fishing by about 8 am. High tide was about midday. Fished 2 rods with pulley rigs, one with a 2/0 and the other with a 4/0, hoping for roker and / or bass. O.K., perhaps a little optimistic! Bait was to be squid, bluey and frozen black lug. Weather forecast to be dry and sunny (it was) and wind north easterly 10 – 16 mph (in fact slightly higher). Had been fishing about 10 minutes when I had a knock on one rod and reeled in a dogfish. As I turned to walk back “to base” I saw a dog, being walked off lead, mooching around my bait (and a very sharp unsheathed bait knife). I shooed it away but to no avail. It managed to eat all my bluey before I got near it and it backed away. The female owner approached, didn’t seem too bothered, more or less admitted that “he does that sort of thing” and when I commented that her dog had eaten all my fish bait, leaving me short, she simply said “well it’s done now” and walked off. She didn’t even apologise. I wasn’t best pleased. Anyway, with care, and going down to 1 rod after a while, I managed to fish until about 2 pm. In all I had 9 dogfish and a smoothound “pup”. I can laugh about it now.

So I was planning to do a night session on Thursday (18 May) but due to unforeseen circumstances had to do a day session (19 May) instead. Arrived about 7.30 am, set up and was fishing by about 8 am. High tide was about midday. Fished 2 rods with pulley rigs, one with a 2/0 and the other with a 4/0, hoping for roker and / or bass. O.K., perhaps a little optimistic! Bait was to be squid, bluey and frozen black lug. Weather forecast to be dry and sunny (it was) and wind north easterly 10 – 16 mph (in fact slightly higher). Had been fishing about 10 minutes when I had a knock on one rod and reeled in a dogfish. As I turned to walk back “to base” I saw a dog, being walked off lead, mooching around my bait (and a very sharp unsheathed bait knife). I shooed it away but to no avail. It managed to eat all my bluey before I got near it and it backed away. The female owner approached, didn’t seem too bothered, more or less admitted that “he does that sort of thing” and when I commented that her dog had eaten all my fish bait, leaving me short, she simply said “well it’s done now” and walked off. She didn’t even apologise. I wasn’t best pleased. Anyway, with care, and going down to 1 rod after a while, I managed to fish until about 2 pm. In all I had 9 dogfish and a smoothound “pup”. I can laugh about it now.
As a dog owner, this is terrible behaviour.
Let’s hope that the dog was sick in her car on the way home?
Or if she walked home, that the dog got the shits overnight on the carpets?
Leaving her a stinky mess before breakfast isn’t pleasant!!!!
I know from experience

Nice report mate, shame the mutt spoiled it for you. I take my little Shi-Tzu Molly fishing with us, and she is not interested in any of the bait, not a sniff. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Nice report Long Rod, 10 fish landed.
Shame about the Bait thief, as others have said, hope the hound had tummy troubles later in the day! 🎣🎣👍👍

I have had to grab some dogs before, which is a risk to me, as you never know their temperament, for their own protection and that of the owner from vets bills! Its just hassle you don't need. I am always mindful when putting my foot/leg in the way as a barrier to my bait, after reading of one particularly aggressive dog owner who accused an angler of trying to kick his dog, and then wanted to fight him! Totally missing the point that he was the one at fault having a dog not under proper control.

Hope it did not spoil your time fishing and you had a few, even if you had to ration your bait!

I had a dog nick my bait.. half a side of mackerel before I got a chance to whack it..
The owner got right grumpy until I explained it was just about to eat a hook.
She soon calmed down..👍

Back