• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Schoolie bashing only

Flipper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Bit of sun and warmth, meant that life should start flooding back into the inshore waters, so took my youngest out for an early BH start. Got to the mark and my heart sank, no bird life and no obvious signs. Still waded around the shallows to a rocky outcrop we like and there was definitely more life in the water than recently, so that cheered me up. Sadly no decent fish were caught or even seen, but, we managed to find the schoolies, the only way to avoid them was to step up to larger surface lures. At one stage is was like Blue Planet as bass were chasing tiny silver bait fish and they were leaping well clear of the water to avoid becoming bass brekkie!

However, two hours in and the activity had died off with the sun on the water seeming to send them lower in the water. So thought I would cycle through my jigs to catch them deeper. A real lesson to my boy as the only one which caught was the tiny 10g Fiish jig, which he spent many minutes mocking me for spending a seeming small fortune on a piece of basic metal. For whatever reason is was the only one to catch, so it must have really matched the hatch or had a fluttering action they couldn’t resist. Having caught 6 schoolies in 15 minutes whilst he blanked soon shut him up🤣

Still bit of fun on light tackle, now to find their mums.

.IMG_1970.jpeg

Well done Flipper and Flipper Jr. Always good to get out and amongst them👍
Its all beginning to kick off here too thankfully - its been a long, wet, codless winter and I'm very glad to see the back of it!

Nice one Flipper, good to see a youngster wants to fish as well. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Well done Flipper! Great report, and even if there were only schoolies about, you avoided a blank! 🎣🎣👍👍

Nice bit of flicking that bey and taught the youngen a lesson too well played 💪🏻💪🏻💪🏻
It warms the heart to know that not all youngsters are addicted to their phones/xbox's...

Ian.

My Grandson (10yrs old) wants me to take him sea fishing, I confirmed as soon as the sea warms up a bit we will take him as well as his dad (son).

My Grandson (10yrs old) wants me to take him sea fishing, I confirmed as soon as the sea warms up a bit we will take him as well as his dad (son).
Obviously don’t know what your grandson is like, but, my boys need to catch so they don’t get bored, so can thoroughly recommend lure fishing for mackerel, baited LRF, etc, just to get regular bites. All the best, it is great fun to watch and help in their development in this awesome hobby.

Obviously don’t know what your grandson is like, but, my boys need to catch so they don’t get bored, so can thoroughly recommend lure fishing for mackerel, baited LRF, etc, just to get regular bites. All the best, it is great fun to watch and help in their development in this awesome hobby.
We tend to use lug with small hooks on a running ledger with about 3ft (1m) trace. If the mackies show then I put some day glow feathers on (3max) for him.

Back