• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Scraping by.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Now I’ve already had a couple of half-hearted attempts to catch my first bass of the year, but on Thursday night I decided to go all out for it. After a lot of thought, plus some advice from a local angler, I decided to fish a new mark for me, a true surf beach on the West coast of Anglesey. Once more I was joined by Steve O and after a drive along some narrow country lanes, we arrived at the beach in question.

The actual spot I’d been told to fish was at one end of a wide bay, where we would start fishing off the beach before retreating up onto the rocks when the flooding tide pushed us back. As well as bass, the mark has also been known to throw up some very good coalies, so I was feeling quite confident.

After some pretty strong South Westerly winds over the last few days, things were expected to calm down a bit in the evening, but with the promise of 18mph winds gusting to 25mph from the West South West, there should still be a decent surf on ?. Unfortunately, we arrived to find that the wind was nowhere near as fresh as forecast and it was also more Southerly too, meaning that conditions were a lot calmer than I would have liked. Having travelled so far though, and not knowing how the beach would fish in less than perfect conditions, we decided to give it a go anyway. After finding a suitable spot to fish, from where we could easily climb up to the safety of the rocks, our rigs were soon baited up with a variety of lug, squid, sandeel & mackerel baits before being cast out into the darkness and we then sat back to wait.

We waited and waited, aaaaaand waited, but for the next 3 hours, no matter what baits or combinations we tried, they came back completely untouched on every single cast ?. Things were so quiet that if we had more time, we may have considered moving to another location, but this was a relatively short evening session so we decided to sit it out. We were both losing the will to live by now but finally, with an hour of the flood to go I was shocked to see an actual bite! ? Not wanting to risk missing what could be my only chance of the night, I gave the fish a few minutes to get the bait down before I started to reel in, then with my heart in my mouth in case I lost it, I slowly lead the fish towards the shore. As it happened, I needn’t have worried at all, as the doggie which found my baits had in fact swallowed 2 of my 3 hooks and it wasn’t getting away ?.
Dog 3rd Feb 2022.jpg

With the blank belatedly beaten, I hoped this might be the start of a busy spell, and it did look that way when Steve also had a bite about 5 minutes later, but sadly for him he missed it and once again everything went quiet ?.

45 minutes later and it was my turn to miss a bite, before Steve finally broke his duck on the very last cast of the night ?.

So that’s another week gone and still no bass but thankfully, even when the fishing is poor I’m scraping by and avoiding the blank by the skin of my teeth. I’m looking forward to spring now though, with some warmer weather and hopefully some better fishing ?.

Now I’ve already had a couple of half-hearted attempts to catch my first bass of the year, but on Thursday night I decided to go all out for it. After a lot of thought, plus some advice from a local angler, I decided to fish a new mark for me, a true surf beach on the West coast of Anglesey. Once more I was joined by Steve O and after a drive along some narrow country lanes, we arrived at the beach in question.

The actual spot I’d been told to fish was at one end of a wide bay, where we would start fishing off the beach before retreating up onto the rocks when the flooding tide pushed us back. As well as bass, the mark has also been known to throw up some very good coalies, so I was feeling quite confident.

After some pretty strong South Westerly winds over the last few days, things were expected to calm down a bit in the evening, but with the promise of 18mph winds gusting to 25mph from the West South West, there should still be a decent surf on ?. Unfortunately, we arrived to find that the wind was nowhere near as fresh as forecast and it was also more Southerly too, meaning that conditions were a lot calmer than I would have liked. Having travelled so far though, and not knowing how the beach would fish in less than perfect conditions, we decided to give it a go anyway. After finding a suitable spot to fish, from where we could easily climb up to the safety of the rocks, our rigs were soon baited up with a variety of lug, squid, sandeel & mackerel baits before being cast out into the darkness and we then sat back to wait.

We waited and waited, aaaaaand waited, but for the next 3 hours, no matter what baits or combinations we tried, they came back completely untouched on every single cast ?. Things were so quiet that if we had more time, we may have considered moving to another location, but this was a relatively short evening session so we decided to sit it out. We were both losing the will to live by now but finally, with an hour of the flood to go I was shocked to see an actual bite! ? Not wanting to risk missing what could be my only chance of the night, I gave the fish a few minutes to get the bait down before I started to reel in, then with my heart in my mouth in case I lost it, I slowly lead the fish towards the shore. As it happened, I needn’t have worried at all, as the doggie which found my baits had in fact swallowed 2 of my 3 hooks and it wasn’t getting away ?.
View attachment 22485

With the blank belatedly beaten, I hoped this might be the start of a busy spell, and it did look that way when Steve also had a bite about 5 minutes later, but sadly for him he missed it and once again everything went quiet ?.

45 minutes later and it was my turn to miss a bite, before Steve finally broke his duck on the very last cast of the night ?.

So that’s another week gone and still no bass but thankfully, even when the fishing is poor I’m scraping by and avoiding the blank by the skin of my teeth. I’m looking forward to spring now though, with some warmer weather and hopefully some better fishing ?.
Great report Andy ?

Great report Andy ,, blank beaten by a dog ,, how many blanks have been beaten by a dog I wonder

Unlucky Andy but I’m sure if you ask a certain someone on the north wales section on WSF he’ll no doubt tell you he’s being catching them all winter but with no reports or photo evidence ?

I’m pretty certain you know who I’m on about ?

Love fishing Anglesey there's always somewhere you can fish no matter what the weather throws at you.Particularly like the Trearddur Bay. area off the rocks.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies all (y).

Great report Andy ,, blank beaten by a dog ,, how many blanks have been beaten by a dog I wonder

Though they're sometimes a pain when you're targeting other species, dogs have saved me many blanks over the years and as a match angler they can be a godsend ?.

Love fishing Anglesey there's always somewhere you can fish no matter what the weather throws at you. Particularly like the Treaddur Bay. area off the rocks.

I'm very fortunate to live so close to Anglesey, I've been able to find shelter in all sorts of weather over the years, when I might have been forced to stay at home if I lived anywhere else.

Back