• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea bass fishing SW France

jambop

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Hi I have only just joined the site so hello to all.
I am retired and live in SW France not actually on the coast but only about an hour or so away. I used to do a quite lot of trout fishing and now and again some bass fishing with various spinners and rubber eels. I would like to get back into the bass fishing with lures as I am sure that there must be some decent fishing to be had off the beaches and shoreline down SW France?
I did bring some of my gear with me but most of it is still back in the attic back in the UK, I left it there when we moved down here 10 years back. So I am looking for some advice. The rod I have is a Ron Thompson 9ft 10-40g spinning rod and an Okuma Epix Er 60 reel . They are both in good condition so I am wondering if these would be OK to use for sea fishing use? I am not sure that the rod would stand up to much salt water to be honest it only cost me about 20 pounds although that was about 15years ago now . The reel looks fine but again is salty water going to fine it out? I would have no worries about spending say up to £100 on a rod and reel if these are found to be less than what is required. So what are the opinions do I need newer gear?

Welcome, rod you say will be fine for sea fishing, reel should also be ok, save them going to waste doing nothing.
I use a carp rod in the sea (it was just handy that it split in 3 pieces to fit across parcel shelf) no problems.

Welcome, rod you say will be fine for sea fishing, reel should also be ok, save them going to waste doing nothing.
I use a carp rod in the sea (it was just handy that it split in 3 pieces to fit across parcel shelf) no problems.

Sounds good to me! All I really need to do is shell out for a few new bass lures. I have some soft eddystone eels that I used to use to reasonable effect but a few of the newer style bass lures and some new braid should see me good to go. I am assuming that braid is better than mono filament because if not I have some good quality Berkley Trylene at 18lbs ?

Hi and welcome, as there others say - just use what you've got 'til it either falls to bits or you get better at it and you feel a better rod might get you a bit more distance or feel better for you, whatever, just get yourself out and enjoy the day. Once your interest is back family might see how much you are enjoying yourself and know what to buy you for xmas?;) Braid is maybe better then mono but use what you've got for now imho.

Sounds good to me! All I really need to do is shell out for a few new bass lures. I have some soft eddystone eels that I used to use to reasonable effect but a few of the newer style bass lures and some new braid should see me good to go. I am assuming that braid is better than mono filament because if not I have some good quality Berkley Trylene at 18lbs ?
Your eddystones will still work!

Rod and reel will do just fine just give them a wash and rinse down in fresh water after every trip. I would not go mad on lures a couple of 28 grm Tobies in silver or Dexter Wedges will go with your Eddystones. 18lb mono is a bit on the heavy side I never used anything above quality 10lb mono. You should get other species besides bass depending how far South you are and the season. It's nice to use expensive gear but I never found it caught me any more fish

Rod and reel will do just fine just give them a wash and rinse down in fresh water after every trip. I would not go mad on lures a couple of 28 grm Tobies in silver or Dexter Wedges will go with your Eddystones. 18lb mono is a bit on the heavy side I never used anything above quality 10lb mono. You should get other species besides bass depending how far South you are and the season. It's nice to use expensive gear but I never found it caught me any more fish

I was more concerned about the rod than the reel, which seems quite smooth in its action, but I will as you say make sure they are well washed down after use. You are right there is no point, other than the pleasure, for most people using expensive gear. I always used Diawa rods for my fly fishing when some of my pals were using Sage, Greys, Hardy and alsorts of other exotica... never seemed to end up with more fish in their creels. I do not have much light mono so I may go for some braid... the mono is quite old now anyway.
I would love to be able to give it a go sometime soon but we are in lockdown just now , have been for the past month plus and also there is an onshore gale battering SW France just now for the past week or more!

Back