• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Sea temperatures

Minstrelblue

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Just checked and the south and southwest coasts which according to the internet are showing sea temps anywhere between 9° and 9.5° . Seems ok for winter fishing but what does it need to get to for summer species to wake up and get hungry. ?

Pretty sure it’s touching 10 and above in that area, which generally means the Bass are more likely to strike lures thankfully.
As for genuine summer species, they aren’t far behind either.

It’s allegedly 9.9 here but bass would certainly be possible now.

Don’t bother with lures but I won’t worry about bass until May or June

I tend to use the site at: https://coastalmonitoring.org/realtimedata/ to find sea surface temperatures. They also have a chart for each location that shows wave height.

Along the Dorset and Devon coasts it's reporting readings between 9.7 °C and 10.3 °C with the warmest water in the west. Anyone else know of good sites with temperature data?

The often-quoted rule of thumb is ten degrees for bass. I can't remember seeing much about what temperatures trigger the activity of other species. While temperature is a factor I would think that there are other factors such as day length (as with plants). Of course, the two tend to go hand-in-hand anyway.

Henry Gilbey reports catching bass earlier this year on his local patch in south-east Cornwall. He tends to use lures. Currently the temperature in this area is showing as 10.3 °C.

Seems that the traditional seasons are shifting a bit with warm water species starting a earlier than their traditional times.

If you have the chance, just go fishing.

Pretty sure it’s touching 10 and above in that area, which generally means the Bass are more likely to strike lures thankfully.
As for genuine summer species, they aren’t far behind either.
Just had a look - 10.1° here this morning.

I use this one which has some interesting comparable historic data but how accurate it is or where the measurement is taken from I don’t know.

Basically I check when it’s worth getting IN the sea and so far have found it needs to be 15 plus before it’s bearable!

In between the nets being laid down between Bexington and Cogdon 250 yards out, Chesil water is showing at 10.4C

That is high enough to bring in the mackerel and the resulting stampede....... if the boats do not get them all

Last edited:
Catching macky launce and wrasse here and the odd schoolie.
A mate just got in with a dozen pollack between four and ten pounds in weight, caught over a reef about a mile off,he put alot back. They had empty guts so must be feeding up after spawning.

Catching macky launce and wrasse here and the odd schoolie.
A mate just got in with a dozen pollack between four and ten pounds in weight, caught over a reef about a mile off,he put alot back. They had empty guts so must be feeding up after spawny
Ridiculous coming in that close.
Depends what nets they are using, might be saving you from doggies and spiders? Or our cornish' king crabs we send you?

Back