• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

West Wales Second Boat trip.

glandyman

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Boat
Another trip , office hours this time, stepped on at 9am and off at 7.30pm. First stop , St Catherines, Tenby where we filled our boots with mackerel and scad in no time. Had a shortish trip then to the rocks at the end of Caldey sound where we were invited to cast lures into the shallows ( Sometimes we only had 3 or 4 feet under the boat. Most of us didn't have the correct gear but that didn't stop some of the loons trying to cast heavy jigs with 30 lb boat rods. A few small bass plus two keepers and almost unbelievably no one was hooked by flying lures during the frenzy. I hid in the cabin and after awhile the skipper became a bit concerned by the lack of health and safety and called "lines in lads , we'll move a bit". 10 miles later he told us we had reached the tope mark and anchored in 25 ft of water. Very slow couple of hours with only dogs and tope pups but at 3.30pm the firing range closes so we were able to go a couple of miles inshore where we had a fair bit of sport. Over 30 tope landed and many more dropped we had a fair old session. Mostly fish under 10 lb or smaller but 5 or 6 over 30lb. I had the biggest but no pics or measurement because she had blown her guts out so I wanted her back in asap. Skipper called it 45 lb but I would say 40lb. My mate , next to me brought a huge fish to the surface , bigger than mine, which was just hanging on to the mackerel and buggered off when she saw the boat.

Photos of a smaller one that my mate caught and a nice fish caught by Malc's cleaner.

Bonjour

Attachments

• IMG_20230523_170617.jpg
    IMG_20230523_170617.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20230522_111117.jpg
    IMG_20230522_111117.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Another trip , office hours this time, stepped on at 9am and off at 7.30pm. First stop , St Catherines, Tenby where we filled our boots with mackerel and scad in no time. Had a shortish trip then to the rocks at the end of Caldey sound where we were invited to cast lures into the shallows ( Sometimes we only had 3 or 4 feet under the boat. Most of us didn't have the correct gear but that didn't stop some of the loons trying to cast heavy jigs with 30 lb boat rods. A few small bass plus two keepers and almost unbelievably no one was hooked by flying lures during the frenzy. I hid in the cabin and after awhile the skipper became a bit concerned by the lack of health and safety and called "lines in lads , we'll move a bit". 10 miles later he told us we had reached the tope mark and anchored in 25 ft of water. Very slow couple of hours with only dogs and tope pups but at 3.30pm the firing range closes so we were able to go a couple of miles inshore where we had a fair bit of sport. Over 30 tope landed and many more dropped we had a fair old session. Mostly fish under 10 lb or smaller but 5 or 6 over 30lb. I had the biggest but no pics or measurement because she had blown her guts out so I wanted her back in asap. Skipper called it 45 lb but I would say 40lb. My mate , next to me brought a huge fish to the surface , bigger than mine, which was just hanging on to the mackerel and buggered off when she saw the boat.

Photos of a smaller one that my mate caught and a nice fish caught by Malc's cleaner.

Bonjour
Great report and pictures 👍 Malcs cleaner 👌 😀

Back