• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

(Second hand) line, would you trust it?

Ladfromtad

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Afternoon folks

I was recently given a proper lucky dip box if mixed odds and ends.
Some good, some in the bin and some unsure 🤔

Quite a few spools of line, some new/unused.
However, I have zero idea how old it is or how it has been stored (heat, sunlight, etc).

Would you trust it?
Or
Would the thought if it snapping at a crucial moment always be at the back of your mind???

It should be fine. I’ve used spools that were 10-15 years old with no problems.
Sunlight would affect it but otherwise, imo it’s unlikely to change from one year to the next.

And what’s the likelihood tackle would be stored in direct sunlight? Usually it’s in sheds or garages or cupboards etc etc.

It doesn’t hurt though to test a few sections before putting it on your reels.
I’d just put on gloves or wrap around a bit of rag and try and snap it with my hands - if it survives repeated attempts I call it good!

Sound advice from Mr Fishy. If it's new on a spool it should be OK, but as said, test it.
If it's on a reel, I would bin it & reload it with new, even old new line, as long as it hadn't been in the Oggin.

Afternoon folks

I was recently given a proper lucky dip box if mixed odds and ends.
Some good, some in the bin and some unsure 🤔

Quite a few spools of line, some new/unused.
However, I have zero idea how old it is or how it has been stored (heat, sunlight, etc).

Would you trust it?
Or
Would the thought if it snapping at a crucial moment always be at the back of your mind???
Nope buy new line, I never trust used or line that's been in the sun.

Just to point out, the original post was about being given a box of bits that included spools of line, some unused, not unknown line on an unknown second hand reel.

Agree it wouldn’t be sensible to trust line in that scenario.

Would replace it with new as you never know what's happened to it before. 1 nick could cost you a pb.

Back