• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Selsey east beach 06/11

Emmcee75

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
As the title suggests, I decided to fish selsey east beach as this would give me decent shelter from the weekends w-s-w winds. I arrived at the tackle shop to pick up some rag'. Whilst in there I over heard another customer saying that he fished east beach the previous night and along with 13 other anglers that he spoke to only 1 dogfish was caught to his knowledge. Hearing that didn't exactly fill me with confidence but I carried on to venue thinking to myself each tide is different etc. I arrived around low and brought a coffee and had a walk up and down the promenade.
20211106_154708.jpg
I sat on one of the benches for a while thinking on where to go and a fine rain started to descend and within seconds a rainbow started to appear in front of me. I took it as a sign so my spot was sorted.
20211106_154517.jpg
Set up 1 rod with a loop rig with size 1's baited with rag' or rag' tipped with squid and pulley dropper on the other with 3/0 baited with whole squid or lugworm and squid wraps. Checked the rods after 15mins and both were stripped. Rebaiting and a local fella started chatting and was saying that the fishing had been dire for the last week, he had fished the last 4 evening's for no fish. Well I was there and as I'd said to myself earlier, each tide is different I thought so I just carried on. Baits were coming back stripped each time and the fireworks soon started which at least gave me some entertainment for the evening.
20211106_181922.jpg
I fished on up to high which was midnight ish and still no fish so I decided to fish 2hrs down and just use up what bait I had left. On one retrieve I had a strap lip hooked which I shook off at the surf. There is always next time.
All in all a bit of a gruelling session, where have all the fish gone ?
Tight lines.

At least you tried good effort and unlucky on not landing the strap. you can only fish what’s in front you and as you say there’s always next time

Last edited:
Well done for posting up a blank session. Many don't and it gives the impression to newbies that it's all a fish a chuck if all they read on forums is how many fish people have caught. Kudos to you. (y)

Never know until you try though as you’re right, each tide is different. We’ll done on your perseverance ?

It’s been grim there for a while now…..I fished Park Lane end Weds and had stripped baits for a few hours,then caught 2 crabs and just on high tide dogfish.

It’s been grim there for a while now…..I fished Park Lane end Weds and had stripped baits for a few hours,then caught 2 crabs and just on high tide dogfish.
That does seem to be the case after i was chatting with the local fella. Think I'll head back in to Hampshire/dorset for my next trip out, or further in to west Sussex.

Nice report & photos EmmCee! At least you got out for the fireworks mate! ??

East beach hasn`t fished well for years nor has West beach close to the camp,very poor,The Point fishing the tide down or the breakwaters at the bottom of Wight Way,which is a top draw for black bream are probably better options...Alan

Back