• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Short n sweet

Mr Fish

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I’ve been trying for a few days to hit Saunton beach to fish up to the high for bass after dark.
A combination of feeling a bit achy plus crap weather put me off but Friday night I was determined to give it a go.

High tide was just after 1am so I didn’t rush to get there, arriving about 8.30 and fishing by 9.
Usually we walk a fair way down the beach but I really couldn’t be arsed so I just went about five minutes from the slipway.

3D18F181-E841-4816-828A-5855F262DA3F.jpeg

There was a powerful surf although it looked bassy.
The beach is so flat, the waves were surging up a long way, so I had to keep my gear about 100 yards back from the surf line.
Not a problem but meant a lot of walking up and down to cast and retrieve.

First impressions, a 5oz gripper wasn’t going to cut it. First cast saw the rod bend and line coming off the reel, but nothing on retrieve apart from a tangled rig, the half bluey bait was okay.
Second cast same thing, except I’d left the reel drag a bit looser than I’d intended and this certainly seemed like the run of a fish.
Well, whacked it, retrieved, same story, tangled rig and bait fine.
So I’m not sure if that was a bite or not. The surging surf was certainly doing weird things to the gear, slack lines, pulling right over, etc, knocks and rattles.

I moved back up with the tide and not a lot was happening. I decided to bring in one half bluey that was by now a long way out.
Felt a bit of weight on it but again on flat beaches, the gear can really drag, making you think there something there when there isn’t.
Anyway, walked down to the surf line and discovered my reeling and heaving had beached a plump bass.
Didn’t even know it was on there ?

Maybe I was doing something else when it bit, maybe the conditions were just too strong to show bites properly, who knows?

He went 3lb 9 and was promptly whacked on the head.

60A579F3-DDDA-4F15-ABBF-C3C3E4FFB220.jpeg

I fished on up to high but about half hour before time (you can’t chase the tide back here, it’s a hiding to nothing), I decided I was pretty tired and had enough, so packed up and headed home just as the on/off rain showers turned into permanent heavy rain!

I’ve been trying for a few days to hit Saunton beach to fish up to the high for bass after dark.
A combination of feeling a bit achy plus crap weather put me off but Friday night I was determined to give it a go.

High tide was just after 1am so I didn’t rush to get there, arriving about 8.30 and fishing by 9.
Usually we walk a fair way down the beach but I really couldn’t be arsed so I just went about five minutes from the slipway.

View attachment 17197

There was a powerful surf although it looked bassy.
The beach is so flat, the waves were surging up a long way, so I had to keep my gear about 100 yards back from the surf line.
Not a problem but meant a lot of walking up and down to cast and retrieve.

First impressions, a 5oz gripper wasn’t going to cut it. First cast saw the rod bend and line coming off the reel, but nothing on retrieve apart from a tangled rig, the half bluey bait was okay.
Second cast same thing, except I’d left the reel drag a bit looser than I’d intended and this certainly seemed like the run of a fish.
Well, whacked it, retrieved, same story, tangled rig and bait fine.
So I’m not sure if that was a bite or not. The surging surf was certainly doing weird things to the gear, slack lines, pulling right over, etc, knocks and rattles.

I moved back up with the tide and not a lot was happening. I decided to bring in one half bluey that was by now a long way out.
Felt a bit of weight on it but again on flat beaches, the gear can really drag, making you think there something there when there isn’t.
Anyway, walked down to the surf line and discovered my reeling and heaving had beached a plump bass.
Didn’t even know it was on there ?

Maybe I was doing something else when it bit, maybe the conditions were just too strong to show bites properly, who knows?

He went 3lb 9 and was promptly whacked on the head.

View attachment 17198

I fished on up to high but about half hour before time (you can’t chase the tide back here, it’s a hiding to nothing), I decided I was pretty tired and had enough, so packed up and headed home just as the on/off rain showers turned into permanent heavy rain!
Love that beach ..walked to it from sandy lane car park a few times. Very shallow. I reckon you could Wade out a couple hundred yards at high tide

Love that beach ..walked to it from sandy lane car park a few times. Very shallow. I reckon you could Wade out a couple hundred yards at high tide
You could easily if the surf wasn’t as big as it was last night!

But bass are (usually) in close anyway ??‍♂️

Great report & nice photos Tony! Nice table sized Bass and a good effort knowing you've not been on top form.

Doh! Wrote a "well done" post out here yesterday, and the "post reply" button was below the bottom of the screen so forgot to hit it! ??

It's funny you say that as over the years a few of my mates have had cats and I can only remember one that liked fish, yet every dog I've had Alfie being No7 have gone nuts for Fish.
We’ve had some cats that have, but before his current dietary needs came in (boiled chicken and gastrointestinal biscuits only), if you put tuna or a bit of white fish down, he’d tuck in for a few minutes then loses interest and doesn’t go back to it.

He could eat boiled fish but since he’s not that fussed I haven’t bothered.

Plus the vet has advised that suddenly changing his diet would probably unsettle his stomach anyway.

Back