• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

East Anglia Sizewell 26/4

Craig

Reaction score
So after the other weeks not so productive session, we decided to meet at Sizewell for another go at this fishing malarky....
Three of us met up around 10.30am, high tide being sometime around 12 would work well for us to fish over high and some of the ebb which is usually more productive than the flood tide for us here.
We were all setup and fishing by 10.45, two rods each. I was still using the same single hook up and overs I've been using for the last few trips, hooks were small kamasan b940s 1-1/0, 60lb rig body and 20lb or 60lb snoods.
The others were using a mixture of 2 and 3 hook flapper rigs.
DSC_5955.JPG
Bait was some nice fresh rag worm, so hopes were set quite high for a bass or two. Plus one of my mates spoke to a chap who has a boat there while waiting for me, he was informed that there are some nice soles about not far from the shore.....
DSC_5968.JPG
The weather wasnt the best but it was definitely better than sitting at home indoors doing paperwork so I couldn't complain, it did get out quite nice in the afternoon and the breeze does off so was quite nice. The sea even had a little action to it today which also boosted hopes of a few better fish as it's usually quiet when it's flat calm here.
DSC_5958.JPG
DSC_5960.JPG
After the previous trips and my struggles to catch, we decided to set up 200yds north of our normal spot with the hope this would change my luck. I'm glutton for punishment so set up north of the other two as per usual with high hopes.
First few casts resulted in not alot happening for me apart from crabs stripping a few baits, the others got off to a slightly better start with the odd whiting and dab rattling their tips. Both had had a proper bite each but missed it and reeled in clean hooks.
Around 12pm I had a proper bite too so picked up the rod and waited for another tap, then I lifted into my first fish of the day, surprisingly it actually put up abit of a fight and had me wondering if I may have tea sorted. Sadly this wasn't the case as I slid a small bass ashore, for reference my boots are size 10 so probably a 30cm fish, it fought well for its size though and was in nice condition compared to the scrawny whiting and see through dabs we've had of late.
DSC_5956.JPG
I cast the same rod back out and had another good rattle withing a minute or two, the other two were looking in disbelief as I had the best fish of the day so far and another bit in no time at all, this time it was slightly less of a spirited fight and schoolie number 2 was on the beach. At this point I was well chuffed and figured I'd have a busy afternoon from here onwards, especially as the ebb was now getting underway and this is usually the most productive time for us.
Oh, how wrong could I be! Not a single fish after the two bass, I did have a couple of bites but they were tiny rattles that resulted in clean hooks.
The other two were still catching whiting and dabs with a couple of micro bass thrown in for good measure til about 2ish, them things slowed down alot, so we had a quick chat around 3.30pm and decided to call it a day at 4.30pm if things didn't improve.
4.30pm came and we all decided after no fish for the last hour, we'd call it quits and head home.

Was abit disappointing but I still had 1/2lb of worms left and abit of free time Tuesday so two of us hatched a plan to get another session in the following day.....

Nice report Craig and well done on catching, even though there were no big fish. Looks a nice venue too.

Is it deep water at Sizewell???
Or like lots of North Norfolk, shingle but no depth.
I have fished Cley to Cromer, not deep waters.

It's really shallow there, it does get deeper as you get further south along the coast but not til your the other side of Thorpeness. There's also a sand bank around 100uds out at low at Sizewell which means your really just fishing a big gulley. Though this changes with storms as does the depth of water.

Great report and photos ?

Smashing report, Craig, just a shame it was a bit of a struggle.

May I suggest you try fishing it later in the day and preferably in darkness, as there were a few good Sole caught last weekend at night next door at Thorpeness, so they're bound to also be at Sizewell. ?

Cheers for the heads up sole intentions, much appreciated. I so normally fish nights more than days but haven't had the opportunity recently so have just gone when time allows and bait is available.

Excellent report and photos. Just a pity the fish weren't too co-operative. Still, there's always next time!

:)

Back