• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Slapton Short Session

KaiH

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
With the bad weather over the last few days and no chance of catching squid in Torbay, I got out my beach rods for the first time since January.

I decided to head to Slapton as only half an hour away and wind blowing over the top. I arrived just after 6 and was going to fish for around 3 hours. Looked good and the swell was not too bad. The bait was squid wings of which I have a freezer full.

There was not a great deal of whiting activity which was good and it took 10-15 minutes to get a bite. I caught a dogfish and a couple of whiting before it got light and around 8 the whiting stopped feeding and I had a couple of bigger bites and a drop back that resulted in nothing. I cast straight back out after the drop back and within 30 seconds the rod was bending over and line being taken. I thought I had let the slack into the waves or hooked some seaweed but no a good fish on. Took around 5 minutes to get close enough for the wave to bring it up the beach. A decent smoothie.

About half an hour later the other rod had a drop back and when reeling in I assumed small whiting as no fight until it got close and became angry. This turned out to be a decent huss.

Overall 6 whiting, all keepers, 2 dogs, 1 smoothie and 1 huss. I wasn't expecting much so was pleasantly surprised.

Great report & photos KaiH! Well done! Long time since I've made it out that way, so glad to know how it is fishing. Nice reading that. 🎣🎣👍👍

Great report Kaih, nice to see smoothies in the winter too.
Maybe one day I'll venture down for the plaice or spurs, but it's a fair old trek for me.

Good luck on the next trip 👍

Good report and some nice fish caught . Going to give slapton a go over xmas week havnt fished it since the spring

Nice busy sesh mate I’m down there tommrow recce for the open in a few weeks any sign of macs and gar bud? Whould love a hound 😍😍

A few of the whiting had anchovies in their mouths and there were some gannets about. Loads of mackerel, herrings and sardines in torbay now so no reason why they won't be there.

Back