• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Small eyed ray??

Hi Peeps
Fishing last night and landed this, I’m sure it has to be a Small Eyed but just wanted to be sure as never landed one before…
Any ideas would be appreciated.
View attachment 61046

I don't fish for Rays Mushty, so I can't help. Good catch though. No doubt someone will have an answer for you soon. 🎣🎣👍👍

I think it is a small eye but the patterning is very faint.
Thanks JLD, that’s what threw me a bit was the lack of markings, guess it’s quite a juvenile fish and maybe hasn’t developed yet?
Pleased nonetheless as they are quite scarce in these parts.

At the risk of being dumb, what could it be confused with?

At the risk of being dumb, what could it be confused with?
I dunno, first one I’d ever caught with very faint markings. Could have been a poorly marked young blonde maybe?? Just wanted words of wisdom to confirm my suspicions 😉

I dunno, first one I’d ever caught with very faint markings. Could have been a poorly marked young blonde maybe?? Just wanted words of wisdom to confirm my suspicions 😉
So really quick job on the phone, but I’ve marked some of the ‘painted’ markings on your ray (another name for SE is painted ray) and contrasted with one I caught last autumn.
Aside from matching pretty well, you can see the body shape is similar too.

They do take on colour from their surrounding, as do most fish, so probably why yours is so dark.

Untitled design.png

So really quick job on the phone, but I’ve marked some of the ‘painted’ markings on your ray (another name for SE is painted ray) and contrasted with one I caught last autumn.
Aside from matching pretty well, you can see the body shape is similar too.

They do take on colour from their surrounding, as do most fish, so probably why yours is so dark.

View attachment 61080
Your a star, I see the markings now.
thank you

Back