• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Split rings?

mole trapper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning all.
I have awful problems trying to attach split ring to split ring, or single hook to second split ring on lures. I have big hands and sausage fingers.
Is there a tool available to open up 6/7 mm rings?
Or a knack of doing this please.
Cheers.

A recent discussion on them. The Halco ones are good have a read through.

As Ollie & Thrasher have said, split ring pliers.

I bought these back in 2020, and they have been great. Stainless steel, so no rust. Struggled to find a link, but they are still available.

As Ollie & Thrasher have said, split ring pliers.

I bought these back in 2020, and they have been great. Stainless steel, so no rust. Struggled to find a link, but they are still available.

I bought the Halco ones and also the mini Daiwa ones that Drouthy referred to. Both work well and do the job they are supposed to but I think for me the Halco ones just edge it.

I bought the Halco ones and also the mini Daiwa ones that Drouthy referred to. Both work well and do the job they are supposed to but I think for me the Halco ones just edge it.
I should have gone back and re-read the thread you linked. I'd forgotten my post, and wouldn't have had to go off searching for the link again!
Damn annoying that eBay only now allow you to see purchases for the last two years, so had to search emails.
They have gone up another £1 since that thread too.

Morning all.
I have awful problems trying to attach split ring to split ring, or single hook to second split ring on lures. I have big hands and sausage fingers.
Cheers.
I always replace my lure trebles with singles. I havnt got sausage fingers (in fact I would call them quite shapely) but even with split ring pliers I normally resort to the thumb nail. I can normally change two hooks before the thumb nail splits and I then have to wait for a week or two before the split grows out!

Morning all.
Cheers.

Split ring pliers, I mostly use the Eagle Claw Lazer stainless pliers.

A huge amount of my fishing is Slow jigs on the wrecks, and the jigs are rigged to the main line via a spilt ring to a solid ring. The twin assist hooks are also on a split ring, which can sometimes be as small as 4mm.

Maxcatch do some great s/s saltwater pliers in a clip on holster with a curly cord that have a SR nib. I ghillie for a living and fish fresh and saltwater for my own sport. They are never off my belt. From CD7 Rapalas and upwards to big swimbaits they are excellent. I have a set of Abel pliers that were given to me but they stay in a drawer these days. Buy a set. You will not regret it

Back