• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Spray on additives

A good fishing mate spent some time in Australia in the early 80's, and he got asked to test Glowbait.
He was so impressed with it, he started importing & selling it here.
It makes any live/dead bait glow fluorescent Green, and I think it has Aniseed in it.
I've still got half a bottle and have used it a few times, but no confirmed results that it works.
The old moral applies that if the Fish aren't there, you're not going to catch, no matter what you put on your hook.

Generally I think the consensus is bait additives are a bit of a gimmick with no real proof they work.

WD40 does NOT contain fish oil and I don’t see any point in adding another chemical to the sea.

IMO there’s no real substitute for decent fresh bait, it’s not something to cut corners on, however if you wanted to add to a scent trail, you could always get some pilchard oil or similar and dip baits in that before casting.

I’ve yet to see any forum threads where use of bait additives has been proven and the occasional one you see where they do claim it’s brilliant is usually a thinly veiled sales pitch attempt.

Of course if you like experimenting, you can always buy some and fish two rods with identical baits, cast to different areas and with additive on one, plain bait on the other.

It was a thing in the carp fraternity in the late 90’s.. my mates used lots of them.. I still out fished them with homemade quality baits..👍

Back