• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Squid round 2

Si-fly

Reaction score
Well I had to try again before the bad weather arrived.
This time another mark hopefully for smaller, bait size squid this time.

Then I'd planned a move late on, back to the spot of the monsters.

I arrived around dusk and went along next to a bait fisherman. I set up a cheap jig as for a 2nd time It was a new mark, and i wasn't sure how snaggy the bottom was.

I planned a few slow retrieves along the bottom to check for snags, but first cast I was in!.... Hey perfect start ?
Next cast I dropped a squid, so swapped to a favorite jig and had a 2nd.
As it got dark the squid kept coming, a few dropped off but plenty were landed before it died!
I wondered back to the van thinking about an early move after a coffee.
I wasn't sure so had a chat with a local lad who thought it was just the state of the tide which had killed it.
Fair enough I thought looking at the tide book, it was now slack water.

Back I went, and after a few casts back came the squid. It was however slower this time and after another 90 mins or so it died yet again!

This time I did move back to the big squid spot. It was fairly busy still and had been quiet. I set up next to some Welsh lads and chatted for a bit until they went without a sniff for me!
It was now getting late and a steady stream of Chinese lads were arriving.... Unfortunately they were armed with bright lights, blazing headlamps, and a strange ability of casting sideways over my line ?
I really don't like bright lights shining in my eyes and after the forth or fifth time of being cast over, I'd had enough of untangling jigs!

The lads were nice and friendly, just I or 2 of them couldn't cast straight for shit!

I'd still seen no squid and it was 2am and now raining so I called it a night.... Plenty of bait, but IMG_20211122_093131~2_resize_46.jpgNo monsters this time.1.5lb the best.

Cheers Si.

Last edited:
Commercial squid boats use bright lights, green these days, to attract the squid.

So bright and so many they can be seen from space.

Commercial squid boats use bright lights, green these days, to attract the squid.

So bright and so many they can be seen from space.

Some do indeed, but the squid don't like high power headlamps moving about.

The comersial boats off Weymouth I was watching, only have dim lights over the boats mainly.

A fixed light like the ones Weymouth used to have did bring small fish in, and then the squid... So they will tolerate static light.

I caught those above in darkness.... No lights and even kept headlight off. ?

I tie a spare head torch to the pier rail on a low power setting ,shine it down in to the water ,i found it works well,
Sounds a good solution ?, low power and static..... I've been known to do it in the past...... Just never really worked for me. ?

Sounds a good solution ?, low power and static..... I've been known to do it in the past...... Just never really worked for me. ?

Years ago you'd see Tilley lamps hanging down from the railings so that they were just above the water.

Good haul for the Bait freezer Si - great report & photos as always! ??

What a great session. Will you not eat some of those? Or are you still feasting on the Kraken?
Awesome fishing ???
I’ve never fished for them, I should have a go!

Years ago you'd see Tilley lamps hanging down from the railings so that they were just above the water.
I can see a Tilley working, I have an old one I used for elvering.
Strange thing was some nights you just needed a light near the net, others it totally killed the fishing!...., never found a pattern, but it was easy to try with and without to compare, as you were catching constantly. ?

I can see a Tilley working, I have an old one I used for elvering.
Strange thing was some nights you just needed a light near the net, others it totally killed the fishing!...., never found a pattern, but it was easy to try with and without to compare, as you were catching constantly. ?
Species dependent?

Thats a cracking haul (y) (y) , we tried using a static light the other night, but think the water was to dirty so not one enquiry

I’ll have 5 lbs worth please Si ?? quality bagging up session loads round this year year well done bud ??

Back