• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Studland/Swanage 27th Sept

cap'nhaddock

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
It was beautiful in the sunshine when I arrived,

sun.jpg

It's going to be a good session, a bite and a small bass on the first cast while setting up a second rod.

But, the signs were there, often a fish in the first few minutes puts the seal of doom on a session.

The signs were there, weed on the trace and on the fish.

A while later the heavens opened,

rain.jpg

...and the weed got worse, it was unfishable.

We decided to go to Swanage.
I found a tiny smoothie pup hiding in a weed clump at the end of my line, it's a mystery how it found a bait among that sludge of weed..

At Swanage there were a few pout and congers that were attracted to the hooked pout, seeing bites in the wind was not easy.

gust.jpg

The wind chart from the met station on the pier just across the bay from The Banjo shows exactly when I got a good bite on my light rod, a sudden downpour of biblical proportions, a raging, swirling 38 mph wind, sea spray, the lot. Trying to remain standing, trying to stop stuff being blown about and all the time something tugging away on the line. Whatever it was got off on the surface, I couldn't see what it was, nor much else through the rain, spray and water on my glasses.

We gave up at about 11pm.

It all started so well.

I thought the weed in the Solent had been bad, but the weed at Studland was the worst l have ever experienced. It took soooo long to clear the lines and tackle.
It was amusing though watching you battling through that squall, whilst l was stood in the beach shelter!

Well done for hang in there that long, shame not many more came out for you.looks a nice place,well when that big dark cloud wasnt there?

Back