• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Sunday bash

Si-fly

Reaction score
Hi all, well unfortunately my planned hike west didn't happen Friday ☹️.....just one of those things, stuff cropped up for my mate, weather wasn't great, very early start, poor fishing etc etc.
Saturday was then going to be the day...extra hour In bed, and mate didn't need to get back early.....BUT...the forecast just got worse....45mph winds, rain, swell....it was just horrible....so again knocked on the head, at least until the next set of better tides in a couple of weeks.....gutted.

My mate was off so he had gone local instead, but after a nice cod earlier in the week ..he had very poor sessions!

I finally cracked Sunday, and just went local for 3hrs....a popular mark....but unsurprisingly with the strong wind forecast, not a soul there.

The conditions were actually quite nice, an offshore wind and just the very odd light shower...far better than I expected!Screenshot_20230110-095642~2.png
I took an old pair of MK1 SS out today due to the conditions....which reminded me ..I must put some shrink on the tapped rod ...had the shrink for months 🤷

The storm surge made a big diff today, I recon the tide was a good few feet higher at low than it should have been...worth thinking about if your on a mark that gets cut off when fishing in stormy weather!

The fishing was pants down to low, just 1 rattle which came to nothing on the big squid baits.
My Mate, also out a few miles away, was also blanking, so it was looking like a very slow session!....just messaging him back.......click, click, click.....put the phone down and picked up the rod.... fish on 😀

It gave a nice scrap, and in came a nice ray around 6-7lb....at last I thought......looked at the 2nd rod , that was now dropping to the floor....fook, why does it always go like that!!

I dropped the first ray in a pool still on the rig, and frantically wound the yards of slack line in out the rocks!....it was still there....pulse slowed ...another ray surfaced....similar size, but quite a different pattern .PXL_20230108_134859505~2_2a8EvbPT8G.jpeg
PXL_20230108_134800225~2_UdTgWyNP9X.jpeg
Ah felt much better now with those under my belt.
On with fresh bait, and out they both went again.
It was quiet for 30 mins, then the rod arched over and in came number 3....a similar size again PXL_20230108_140618893_z9WmbMmU7P.jpeg
10 mins past , this time the same rod again and yet another similar ray....no4
I do love the markings on rays.... lovely fish.PXL_20230108_140245341~2_eUqn3jST8d.jpeg

Unfortunately I lost the next one on the surface....the pennel hook had somehow gone back In the bottom of the bait!....it was probably just hanging on.
Last cast, in came a small male, smallest of the trip..maybe 4-5lb.

Some don't like Thornbacks, but they give good sport in most conditions, so I'm a fan 👍

Till next trip, probably after this week of gales has gone .
Si.

Last edited:
Fantastic report & photos as always Si! Very pretty Rays - well done! 🎣🎣👍👍

Back