• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South Coast Tandoori butter black bream.

Goateeblank

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Ah got your attention! Tandoori will do that. More about that later.

Decided to try again for a spottie, this time from Hurst shingle bank. Tried a different state of tide which was a couple of hours before high and down till the weed kicked in.

Fired up the electric trolly and headed a fair way along the bank. The shingle on the top is compacted pretty hard at the moment so the trolly breezed it.

The Needles were showing up well in the distance.
20220818_153855.jpg

Set up 1 rod with 1 up, 1 down running ledger with size 3 0 hooks. Sand eel and squid top hook, exploratory blacks on the bottom, for what you can guess! The other rod 2 hooks up, 1 running ledger. Size 4 hooks rag tipped with squid for bream or red mullet as they have been caught there recently. Sent them out and set up my much abused brolly as the wind was warm, if a bit fierce. Just got sorted and I can see the big bait rod has some interest. Lifted into it and can feel plenty of weigh, weed no doubt, but also a kick? As it came in the top eye jammed and I had to hand ball the leader and tackle and a fairly chunky black bream up the beach. Good start. The bream came to the blacks and a big hook!

20220818_161526.jpg

Once the bream was desptached, I turned my attention to my collapsed brolly, which now needs repair to fight the wind again. I will take a shelter next time.

The session was quiet with just one more bream for my efforts which came to a sand eel squid wrap again on 3 0 hook.

Packed up when the weed kicked in again.

Right. Tandoori butter black bream.

I had gutted the fish on the beach so all that was required was to wash it out, cut off all the fins and descale the fish. Patted it dry and put some slices into the flesh.
20220819_173507.jpg

The butter is just tandoori powder 2 table spoons, garlic, a chilli, lemon juice, bit of vegetable oil and mash it up. Then add it in a bowl to 100g of butter or less. Stir it up and put it in the fridge.

20220819_173534.jpg

The spuds were just microwaved to make them a bit soft, slice them and fry them. Then chuck them in a dish in a warm oven.

Get the pan hot, with a little oil. Chuck the fish in and sear the skin to make it crisp, about 3 - 4 mins a side.

Then add the butter and as it melts spoon it over the fish to get it well coated and into the slices cut earlier. Carefully turn the fish and do the same.

20220819_175028.jpg

Plate up and add some of the sauce from the pan if you wish. This was my first go and well I was pretty pleased with it. I reckon you could do this with all sorts of fish. Need garnish for colour l suppose - nah!

20220819_183459.jpg

Something different?

Well done Goatee - great report, nice photos, and the Bream & Spuds look delicious! ??????

Ah got your attention! Tandoori will do that. More about that later.

Decided to try again for a spottie, this time from Hurst shingle bank. Tried a different state of tide which was a couple of hours before high and down till the weed kicked in.

Fired up the electric trolly and headed a fair way along the bank. The shingle on the top is compacted pretty hard at the moment so the trolly breezed it.

The Needles were showing up well in the distance.
View attachment 31088

Set up 1 rod with 1 up, 1 down running ledger with size 3 0 hooks. Sand eel and squid top hook, exploratory blacks on the bottom, for what you can guess! The other rod 2 hooks up, 1 running ledger. Size 4 hooks rag tipped with squid for bream or red mullet as they have been caught there recently. Sent them out and set up my much abused brolly as the wind was warm, if a bit fierce. Just got sorted and I can see the big bait rod has some interest. Lifted into it and can feel plenty of weigh, weed no doubt, but also a kick? As it came in the top eye jammed and I had to hand ball the leader and tackle and a fairly chunky black bream up the beach. Good start. The bream came to the blacks and a big hook!

View attachment 31089

Once the bream was desptached, I turned my attention to my collapsed brolly, which now needs repair to fight the wind again. I will take a shelter next time.

The session was quiet with just one more bream for my efforts which came to a sand eel squid wrap again on 3 0 hook.

Packed up when the weed kicked in again.

Right. Tandoori butter black bream.

I had gutted the fish on the beach so all that was required was to wash it out, cut off all the fins and descale the fish. Patted it dry and put some slices into the flesh.
View attachment 31090

The butter is just tandoori powder 2 table spoons, garlic, a chilli, lemon juice, bit of vegetable oil and mash it up. Then add it in a bowl to 100g of butter or less. Stir it up and put it in the fridge.

View attachment 31091

The spuds were just microwaved to make them a bit soft, slice them and fry them. Then chuck them in a dish in a warm oven.

Get the pan hot, with a little oil. Chuck the fish in and sear the skin to make it crisp, about 3 - 4 mins a side.

Then add the butter and as it melts spoon it over the fish to get it well coated and into the slices cut earlier. Carefully turn the fish and do the same.

View attachment 31092

Plate up and add some of the sauce from the pan if you wish. This was my first go and well I was pretty pleased with it. I reckon you could do this with all sorts of fish. Need garnish for colour l suppose - nah!

View attachment 31093

Something different?

Excellent report! Bream are one of the best eating fish, in my opinion better than bass, and fresh giltheads from the Mediterranean, rather than farmed ones, are the ultimate. Hopefully they will continue to migrate north so they become more available to us generally rather than being largely confined to Devon and Cornwall estuaries. Your report has inspired me to have a session on the shingle bank following my recent session at Hordle when I dug out the beach gear after a 2 year sabbatical from bait fishing.

My preference is to leave the fish as it is and flavour the vegetables with whatever is handy.

My taste does suggest I have vegetables with my garlic and chilli though which tends to hide the fish flavour.

Each to his own though.

Back