• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Tapered leaders

meirion658

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Morning All

What are people using these days are you still using the same diameter straight through or are people moving towards the tapered leaders. I have used the 80lb Asso classic up to now and fancy giving the tapered leaders a go. Any suggestions on brands

I've seen a videos on line about the tapered leaders and wonder why people take off the initial 6ft etc ?

3 or 4 coils round the reel seem to work, I use 4x the fishing weight.

I've bought some 60Lb braid to try straight through but haven't loaded a spool up yet.

I won't use tapered leaders, and like you, use Asso 70 or 80Lb for shock leaders.
No problems using a double Uni knot, with more turns for the thinner mainline.
I tend to use Mono mainline around 28Lb, and most tapered leaders are about 18Lb at the thin end, so that would create a weak spot at the knot, being 10Lb less than the main line.

I think that is why some folk cut the first few feet of the thin end off.
Also, if you buy a spool of Mono around 70Lb, you can use it for Rig bodies too,

Everyone to their own,, as always.

On my multiplerrsI use the veals ones from 18lb thin end to 70lb thick end never had a single problem with them been using them 8-9 years now ,, on my fixed spools I use 80lb leaders on mono lines and I use braid on the spair spools,

I've used the daiwa tournament tapered leaders and thier tournament mono in 15lb on my 6500 size multipliers for over thirty years with no problems. Recently bought bigger reels, Penn fathom c/s and put the .40 mm tournament mono on them and cut six feet off the thin end of the leader so it is slightly thicker than the main line.

Back