• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Thank duck for plan B!

Stormtrooper

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Hi all!
So, Tuesday night a plan was hatched between Action Man (Alan) and myself to hit a new and different venue for us both on the N.Kent coast.
Last time we did this, it paid dividends (well, for me anyway! ?) so why not!
Alan was first to the spot, almost an hour before I could get away from home even. Within about 15 minutes of his arrival message however, I received a second message telling me to stay home!! By all accounts, wind and weed were taking their toll without even mentioning apparent snags. Oh dear, this was not the news I was hoping for.
After a little deliberation, Alan had decided to move along the coast a little and try another spot but I won’t lie, I was completely put off… I’m not a fan of northerlies at the best of times but when it’s stronger than anticipated and you add weed into the mix, things just aren’t fun!
So, parting ways before we’d even met up, I hatched a plan B and set my sights on looking for a ray or two.
I set about the drive down to south Kent where the wind would be lessened and off my back and by 8:30pm my baits were in the water.
I’d opted for bluey on one and a straight up whole squid on the other.
It was difficult fishing to say the least and surprising too. I’ve fished this venue many times and never once found a strand of weed but this time I was getting plagued by that grassy type stuff and it kept dragging my line into the surf.
Not to be out done, I persevered and before long, I noted a little drop back on the squid rod. I tightened down on it again and watched, nothing much happened. I figured it was just a bigger clump of weed and after a few minutes, decided it was time to check my bait.
I was pretty surprised when I got it in to find a smoothhound on my line! Now, I use the word smoothhound loosely as it was smaller than most sticklebacks but it was a smoothy nonetheless and put a little smile on my face. I hadn’t blanked!!
A short time passed and I got a better pull followed by a slackened bend on the bluey rod. I didn’t jump straight to it as I wanted to check it wasn’t more erroneous movement caused by the conditions but a little nod nod suggested to me it wasn’t and I lifted in.
Weight!!
Before too long and couple of nice pulls I had my target on the shore, a stunning female thornie of 8lbs 4oz. Result!! I’d have been happy with a 3lber! ?
I fished on after a quick pic and it became really difficult. As the tide ebbed to low and started to flood again, the tide run (assumably aided by weed and wind) made it difficult to hold bottom. Again, not a problem I’ve ever encountered at this venue. I carried on until a bit later than I should have but this was chiefly down to things looking like they were going to pick up. First came a whiting (at least it was only the one!) followed by a decent pull which resulted in ray no.2 for the night, a 4lbs 7oz male which gave a great account of itself.
By about 1:30am, I realised I still had a fair drive home and work beckoned the following morning so I reluctantly packed up… always nice to find the target though! 115B4DBD-99DA-40A1-B930-B4282CF4A903.png6688DB3B-F858-4E35-A3EC-71E04D1FE7C9.png765AB3B5-006B-4CB8-9F1D-41EDD20D99F8.jpegF1A03E06-7F6F-41CB-AF0C-9F43A001DAF9.jpeg

Do you ever blank? Fair play mate!
oh yeah, plenty. I just don’t tend to
report it, no one wants to read about nothin happening.

Nice one mate. Great pics to. (y)

Ian.

Cracking report & photos Stormzy! Well done matey! ??

Back