• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The bream are still here.

Ianpick

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
My last couple of trips out have been short distance into Bouldner Bay just a mile or so out of Yarmouth Harbour.
Fishing in 30' of water at the bottom of a bank that rises about 20 feet over a distance of 50 yards or so. It's a long bank parallel to the shore about 300 to 400 yards out with lots of little features that, so far, have held a good number of fish. It will be interesting to see what moves in over the coming weeks.

Lots of decent bream at about a pound a time and thankfully no more smut pups and only two doggies. Lots and lots of smaller fish returned to fatten up for a rematch next year.

The best bait by a long way has been a squid strip and razor clam cocktail. Hook the strip through the top a couple of times then a small piece of razor then "stitch" the rest of the strip on.
I've experimented with prawn pieces as well but razor has been best.

The fish come and go, as they patrol along the bank, and when they arrive it gets very very busy.
The odd thing has been that last week's trip saw most fish caught on the top hook of a two hook flapper, about 18"/24" or so off the bottom.
Today nearly all fish on the bottom hook about 9" off the bottom.

Nine fish bought home today and much against my better judgement l am going to freeze a few and see what they are like to eat in a month or so.
The weather is now going to limit boat fishing and this mornings trip was decided on yesterday afternoon when the forecast looked good. I'll take my opportunities as and when I can and I expect short distance 2½ hour trips to be the norm from now on but that's one of the joys of living here in West Wight, my boat is less than ten minutes down the road. I can put the gear on board and be fishing 40 minutes after leaving the house.

If it's nice clear night tonight, I feel a squid session at Freshwater Bay off the beach may be in order. I've not heard of any being caught yet but a full moon might switch them on.

My last couple of trips out have been short distance into Bouldner Bay just a mile or so out of Yarmouth Harbour.
Fishing in 30' of water at the bottom of a bank that rises about 20 feet over a distance of 50 yards or so. It's a long bank parallel to the shore about 300 to 400 yards out with lots of little features that, so far, have held a good number of fish. It will be interesting to see what moves in over the coming weeks.

Lots of decent bream at about a pound a time and thankfully no more smut pups and only two doggies. Lots and lots of smaller fish returned to fatten up for a rematch next year.

The best bait by a long way has been a squid strip and razor clam cocktail. Hook the strip through the top a couple of times then a small piece of razor then "stitch" the rest of the strip on.
I've experimented with prawn pieces as well but razor has been best.

The fish come and go, as they patrol along the bank, and when they arrive it gets very very busy.
The odd thing has been that last week's trip saw most fish caught on the top hook of a two hook flapper, about 18"/24" or so off the bottom.
Today nearly all fish on the bottom hook about 9" off the bottom.

Nine fish bought home today and much against my better judgement l am going to freeze a few and see what they are like to eat in a month or so.
The weather is now going to limit boat fishing and this mornings trip was decided on yesterday afternoon when the forecast looked good. I'll take my opportunities as and when I can and I expect short distance 2½ hour trips to be the norm from now on but that's one of the joys of living here in West Wight, my boat is less than ten minutes down the road. I can put the gear on board and be fishing 40 minutes after leaving the house.

If it's nice clear night tonight, I feel a squid session at Freshwater Bay off the beach may be in order. I've not heard of any being caught yet but a full moon might switch them on.
Great report i agree there are loads of bream about still, had endless small bream off weymouth yesterday.
tight lines
Espadon

Great report Ian - well done on the Bream! ??(y)(y)

Watched one of Troj's fishing videos over the weekend from Guernsey, and he was doing well on Bream too.

If you're freezing Fish (or meat!) for the table, I've found they keep much better if Vacuum packed. Lidl or Aldi sometimes have the machines on offer if you've got a store on the Island. (y)(y)

I vac pack everything that goes in the freezer.

I bought my machine from Lidl a while back and am seriously considering getting a bigger better one when this one breaks down.

Yes the bream certainly are if you can find them. We had over 160 on Friday. All well above a 1lb and some real chunkies. We kept 70 & put the rest back. Vacuum sealed on return. Best day's bream fishing I have had in memory.
Reef to east of Isle of Wight. Non stop except at the height of the tide & then cam back on. Picture of the catch

Attachments

• 14 Oct 2022 part of 160  (2).jpg
    14 Oct 2022 part of 160 (2).jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 16
Back