• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales The curse of the first cast lunker.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
Having been forced by the weather to fish closer to home last week, I seized the chance last night to get back to the island. After the recent storms, the wind was forecast to drop briefly so I fancied my chances of more silver, and hopefully a ray or two. Conditions on my arrival couldn’t have been better, with a lighter wind than forecast but still a fantastic white surf roaring ashore, giving extensive flat tables of gin clear water :love:. Once I had chosen my spot, I hurriedly set up my gear and the first rig out was a 3-hook plapper, armed with sharp 1/0s and baited with a combination of frozen black lug and squid. Next up, the second rod was rigged with a pennel pulley dropper and baited with half a squid.
Base camp 22nd Feb 2022.jpg

After the recent turbulent conditions, it was a perfect evening to be out under the dark and starlit sky and I hoped for some good sport to go with it ?. As it happened, I didn’t have to wait long for some action and after no more than 5 minutes, the tip of one of the rods pulled over sharply and then sprang straight back ?. To begin with I wasn’t sure if it was caused by a fish or the waves plucking at my line, but it looked somehow different to the regular movement of the sea, so I picked up the rod and lifted it smartly and immediately felt some weight on the line. Hoping that it wasn’t weed ?, I reeled it in steadily but I could tell by the occasional much stronger pull, that it was definitely a fish and I was pretty sure I knew it’s identity too. After a minute or two I spotted a wing flapping in the surf tables, as I finally dragged my first small eyed ray in quite a while ashore. I could see that it was a half decent fish and at a very respectable 7lb 2oz, it was a very encouraging way to start the session ?.
Small eyed 1 22nd Feb 2022.jpg

After a quick pic, I slid her back into the waves, and as she glided off into the crystal-clear water, I couldn’t help but marvel at how superbly camouflaged she was against the clean sand ?.

Perhaps surprisingly, the ray had taken a lug and squid cocktail on the flapper, intended mainly for other species, but I wasn’t complaining. I immediately re-baited with the same combination, and cast out again into the slightly calmer water just behind the surf line.

Buzzing from such an excellent start, I had a quick look at the photos before turning my attention back to the rods, and when I did I couldn’t help but notice that the line on the second rod seemed further to the left than where I remembered casting it ?. I hadn’t seen any signs of life, so I assumed that it was simply down to long-shore drift in the waves but I decided to check it anyway, just in case. As before, I picked up the rod and lifted into it, and once again I could feel a decent weight on the line. Surely lightning couldn’t strike twice I thought but my suspicions were soon confirmed, when ray number 2 of the night was duly landed. Slightly smaller this time, at 6lb on the dot but I was chuffed to bits ?.
Small eyed 2 22nd Feb 2022.jpg

After such a great start, I was beginning to wonder just how many rays I might end up with, but I should have known better. As so often happens when you catch something decent on your first cast, the curse of the first catch lunker struck again ?.

For the next 4 hours I fished it hard but despite the sea looking as fishy as ever, no matter what bait or combination of it I tried, I didn’t see any more signs of a ray. In fact it was so quiet that all I could manage was a couple of whiting and another couple of missed bites.

So a session that began with so much promise, had finished on a proper downer but I wasn’t too disappointed, in fact I was more than happy with my night’s work and I’ve already made plans for my next visit to the mark. Bring it on! (y)

Cheers all (y).

I'm still really pleased to have caught a couple of nice rays, but I can't help wondering how many more I might have caught if I'd arrived a couple of hours earlier :unsure:.

I can't wait to return for round 2 now and if it wasn't for the forecast of 45mph winds tonight, I would be back there right now ?.

Cracking pair of small eyes Andy, well done (y)

Thanks again all (y).

There have been a lot of reports on Facebook of small eyed catches this week,' so it looks like I might have started something :ROFLMAO:.

I'll be off to the island again tomorrow night but with fairly calm conditions forecast, I'm torn between another beach session in search of bass and small eyed, or a sneaky recce to a certain rock mark, to do some homework in readiness for the next club match on Saturday evening ??.

Decisions, decisions :unsure:.

Back