• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

The Gentle Touch

Skaterboy

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Apart from cod fishing most of my catches have been during holidays in Scotland so my wife has seen it all and has been involved in landing thousands of fish of many different species and some very big ones. She knows exactly what to do when I need help and I would rather have her at my side than a lot of other male anglers. She is an outdoors person and is quite happy to read, watch for bites, watch the wild life or help me out when needed. Occasionally she does have a go at fishing and has caught some nice fish, particularly pollack. When I hook a pollack in deep water my instinctive reaction is to fight it hard and get it up in the water and away from snags as quickly as possible and the harder I pull the more they seem to want to crash dive into the rocks and weed. My wife's methods are completely the opposite and she reels in slowly with a slight bend in the rod. The fish don't seem to realise they are hooked and come in without much fuss and I have been surprised many times when what looked like a small fish has turned out to be 6 - 7lbs. I'm beginning to think I've been doing it wrong all these years and should try her method but as soon as I hook a fish instinct takes over and I find myself trying to pull its head off.
I did take her cod fishing on Sandsend cliffs one night in winter and she watched me pull a couple of 5lb cod up the 80ft cliffs. She thought that was complete madness and hasn't been again, but that's a different story.DSCN1651 - Copy.jpg

Nice little write up Skater! I bet there's many who wish they had a fishing partner like your Mrs! 🎣🎣👍👍

Well done mate , you have trained her well
She took to fishing quite quickly. It took a bit longer to get her to see the attraction in climbing mountains and I had to bribe her a few times to get her onto some spectacular summits and ridges and to appreciate the mountains as much as I do.

She took to fishing quite quickly. It took a bit longer to get her to see the attraction in climbing mountains and I had to bribe her a few times to get her onto some spectacular summits and ridges and to appreciate the mountains as much as I do.
If my Mrs started fishing I’d find a different hobby

It's ideal when you both share the same interests. You get to spend every day of your holidays doing something you both enjoy. When we were younger and fitter we would have alternate days fishing and in the hills. Nowadays there's a few more rest days thrown in.

Last edited:
It's ideal when you both share the same interests. You get to spend every day of your holidays doing something you both enjoy. When we were younger and fitter we would have alternate days fishing and in the hills. Nowadays there's a few more rest days thrown in.
Nice write up Skater and it’s great that you and your wife can share the same interests, although I’m with Ollie and Warby on this one. My wife and I have been married 35 years now but the last place I would take her is fishing with me. We do lots of things together but also have our own hobbies and interests that give us time apart. Fishing is definitely ‘me time’.

Back