• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales The productive start continues.

Andy 1965

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Lure
After a few productive sessions, I couldn’t wait to get out again this week after more silver. First off was Tuesday evening and with light winds forecast, along with low water at dusk, I was feeling confident despite the small tide. I arrived at my chosen mark nice and early, to find conditions at the parking spot were exactly as promised. Unfortunately though, as I walked around a headland on the way to my planned location I was suddenly blasted by a bitterly cold and surprisingly strong breeze! 😮 I was feeling pretty annoyed that the forecast was so wide of the mark but all wasn’t lost, despite the choppy conditions the water clarity was still excellent.

Hoping that the wind would drop at dusk, as it often does, I started to wander along the shore, making a few casts here and there as I went, and though the fresh crosswind meant that the fishing wasn’t easy, I persevered. Sadly, the bass were playing hard to get and even after I tried all of the lures which usually do the business at this particular mark, there were no signs of life whatsoever for the next couple of hours 😢.

Eventually I arrived at a spot where I’ve previously done well over low water and though I didn’t know it, things were about to take an upturn. As dusk approached the wind did indeed drop away, and by the time darkness proper fell, conditions were flat calm and the wind was a distant memory. This seemed to be a signal for the bass to start feeding and after 2 and a half hours of absolutely no action whatsoever, my lure was smashed without warning 👍. It wasn’t a big fish but I was happy to just get off the mark, with bass number 22 of the season 😊.
Bass - 22 2023.jpg

Over the next 45 minutes I caught 3 more bass to 39cm, all on the Hunt House or Ruf Manic
Bass - 23 2023.jpg

and I lost a couple more, but then suddenly, as quickly as they started feeding the bass moved on. I gave it another 15 minutes to see if they would be back, but when no more bites came I decided to move on to another spot where I’ve done well in the past.

This move paid off almost immediately and within 5 minutes bass number 5 of the evening was safely landed on the good old Patchinko.
Bass - 26 2023.jpg

Strangely, though the bass were obviously hungry, they were also a bit finicky and I couldn’t get more than 1 take on any particular lure. By regularly changing lures though I kept on catching, first on the candy SF125 waked slowly across the surface, then on the Salt Skimmer, again in candy, before finally I landed the best fish of the night at 54cm, my first bass on the new baby Patch 100 in yellow, to cap off a very enjoyable night 🥳.
Bass - 29 2023.jpg

Next up was Thursday evening and of course I had to return to the same mark for another try. This time conditions were precisely what I expected on Tuesday, flat calm with no wind whatsoever, so I was feeling confident, but it remained to be seen what the small tide with low water 2 hours later would do to the fishing 🤔.

As it happened, the fishing was almost a carbon copy of Tuesday, this time I did see signs of life during daylight, such as a tern diving along the shore and a couple of small sea trout jumping, but again my lures were completely ignored. The first hour of darkness was much the same story but finally, an hour after sunset my efforts were rewarded with the first bass of the night 👍.
Bass - 30 2023.jpg

I hoped this might be the start of another busy spell, but disappointingly the bass just weren’t as active as they had been on Tuesday. I did manage another 2 at this particular spot but they just weren’t there in numbers.
Bass - 32 2023.jpg

A move along the shore to my other spot resulted in bass number 4 of the night
Bass - 33 2023.jpg

but they then went off the feed completely (n).

I spent the last hour of the session moving up and down the shoreline, but I couldn’t find any more fish, so I eventually I called it a night at 00:30, after 5 and a half hours of fishing. I put the relative lack of fish down to the virtually non-existent flow on the smaller tide, but with the tides building again next week, I already have high hopes that my productive start to the season isn’t over just yet 😉.

Fantastic report mate, and great pics too, looks like you had a very productive session. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back