• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South West Thursday night session

squidword

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Out chasing a sole Thursday evening low tide. This particular muddy spot can produce lots of sole of varying sizes, so 2 hook flappers loaded with single rag, just lobbed out 30 yards. Very light Aberdeen fine wire hooks so not to hinder bait presentation too much. Very windy, cold west north westerly wind driving across the beach made conditions very tricky. Literally nothing happened for the first 3 hours of the flood, I was over chatting to my fishing partner to discuss packing up, when I noticed my line dropping onto the mud. Once I'd caught up with the fish I was a good 50 yards down the beach and the fish continued to take line, not sure how much, but I just stood there with line peeling off the spool. Eventually I managed to turn the fish and guide it in through the surf, up pops a hound, and a good one at that! Quite unusual to see hounds in this area but when they do show they are normally a good stamp. The fish was well held by my fishing partner and quickly popped into a sling with zeroed scales. The hook had just about held, but nearly 3/4s straightened out, if the fight had carried on any longer and I think the fish would of been lost. Anyway the scales went to 17lb12oz, so moved my pb for a hound up a touch, only 1 bite and 1 fish so made the late night worth it, packed up very happy. IMG-20230824-WA0014.jpgIMG-20230824-WA0011.jpg

Fabulous Hound Squiddy! Great report & photos - the smiles says it all! 🎣🎣👍👍

Lovely smoothie mate, and cracking pics too.. 🎣 🎣

Ian.

Back