• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

North Wales Tope session and a lesson learnt

Timbc2

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
I've been on a break down the Llyn with the Mrs so I couldn't take the mick with the fishing and anyway the conditions have been absolutely horrendous in the main. So with it supposedly going to blow a less strong Westerly instead of South Westerly for a day there was a chance that I could set up out of the worst of the wind and be in some kind of shelter, and hopefully this part of the sea would be a bit calmer being in the lee of the headland.

Unfortunately mother nature didn't read the Met Office forecast and gave me about 30 minutes of Westerly with the rest of the time being a strong South Westerly, which meant I was no longer sheltered and it kicked the swell height up a lot higher than what Magic Seaweed said it was going to be.

I'd made a decent amount of effort to get there though and decided it wasn't going to be for nothing, so I set up well above the splash zone and (probably stupidly and very unwisely) hoped for the best. All was quiet for several hours and the conditions were getting more and more dodgy. When the tide turned the swells went mental, with some big ten footers badooshing the rocks with a tremendous boom.

At one point I'm baiting up and look up to see a wall of heavy spray about 10 foot above my head - a moment which seemed to almost freeze in time before the inevitable soaking which followed.

I was very close to packing up and was trying to reassure myself with the logic of: this is as high as the water is going to get and so long as I don't go standing down below I'll not get swept in.

Not too long afterwards fate took the decision to leave from me as my ratchet screamed and signified that a beast had now taken the bait. Although I was aiming for this I wasn't really expecting it, as my casts were pretty feeble against the strong wind and the bait was not very far out.

Landing it wasn't a problem, as a particularly large swell delivered it almost to my feet, but returning it definitely was. With the large vertical movement of water, where I'd landed it was not where I could return it. I had to be much lower down the rocks to be in with a chance of launching it over the edge of obstructions and clear of the rocks, so it could swim off freely without collision at the edge.

Lower down the rocks was a deep gully and this was where it had to be returned, but to get to it and deliver the fish, I literally had to jog down, release it, then sprint back up. My heart was in my mouth, as the tendrils of the chasing sea were doing their best to grab my ankles and pull me in. Thankfully luck was on my side and I made it back up to safety.

Here is the prize, just shy of 38 lbs:

37lb 13oz tope.jpg

We so often hear the advice "make sure you work out where you are going to land the fish in advance" but how often do we think "how am I going to return the fish?" as the two actions could end up being very different. I must admit I had not dwelt on this until I was faced with the problem and I bet it's not something that many others bear in mind either. I thought this point was worth bringing up for anyone that's thinking of putting themselves in a similar situation one day.

Cheers for reading (y)

Firstly well done on the cracking tope. ? I got it drummed into me at a young age "no fish is worth your life"

Thanks Warby, you are spot on. I sometimes look at marks others have fished and think "Jesus they must be mental to be on there!".

Cracking Tope.You deserved it.Would I have stayed there.NO.(y)

Cheers bud, I guess it all just crept up on me with expecting things to change for the better. Time was passing by and before you know it the sea is going a bit mental. Time flies when you're having.... errr... "fun"??? :ROFLMAO:

Brilliant fish, well worth the effort.
Sounds a lively sea to be fishing, your alot braver than me!

Exciting fishing good result...maybe a big sturdy net could make it less dangerous

Well done on the tope mate, it’s a belter. ?

Great result and report again. Watch yourself out there Tim

Brilliant fish, well worth the effort.
Sounds a lively sea to be fishing, your alot braver than me!

Nice tope mate well done

Great report Tim and well done on the Tope. Gotta be in it to win it, but stay safe :)

Exciting fishing good result...maybe a big sturdy net could make it less dangerous

Thanks for the kind words gents, it's much appreciated ??

I do have a net but I hardly ever take it due to lugging extra weight and the awkwardness of weilding it one-armed, plus the marks I usually fish I can manage without but every time I have taken it I've not bloody caught owt! ? It's sod law or the bloody thing is jinxed ?

I do have a net but I hardly ever take it due to lugging extra weight and the awkwardness of weilding it one-armed, plus the marks I usually fish I can manage without but every time I have taken it I've not bloody caught owt! ? It's sod law or the bloody thing is jinxed ?

Not sure that a net is the solution singlehandedly on the rocks in a swell.

A weigh-sling was my jinx :rolleyes:. I stopped weighing them in the end

Well done on the fish, great effort.

But yes, completely agree, getting it back is as important as landing it.

I do in fact give some thought to both before I fish a mark and indeed after arriving, I try and suss out the best options.

For example high up on a Cornish wrasse mark I’d take a dropnet, more to safely lower the fish back as the height would kill it, rather than worrying about lifting it out.

Tope is a whole different ball game and I realise you couldn’t use a dropnet at most rock marks, especially single handed.

They’re in here now, but it’s one of the reasons why I choose not to fish for them from rocks.

Also I don’t think these days I’d risk rocks in those conditions, though I’ve done similar things when younger!

Not having a go at you at all, we all make calculated choices on what we feel are acceptable risks, and we all have different comfort levels.

I salute your balls, that’s for sure!

Well done on the fish, great effort.

But yes, completely agree, getting it back is as important as landing it.

I do in fact give some thought to both before I fish a mark and indeed after arriving, I try and suss out the best options.

For example high up on a Cornish wrasse mark I’d take a dropnet, more to safely lower the fish back as the height would kill it, rather than worrying about lifting it out.

Tope is a whole different ball game and I realise you couldn’t use a dropnet at most rock marks, especially single handed.

They’re in here now, but it’s one of the reasons why I choose not to fish for them from rocks.

Also I don’t think these days I’d risk rocks in those conditions, though I’ve done similar things when younger!

Not having a go at you at all, we all make calculated choices on what we feel are acceptable risks, and we all have different comfort levels.

I salute your balls, that’s for sure!

Thanks for saluting my balls.

Well done on the Tope, on my to target list but still haven’t put any time into doing so.

Back