• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

South East Warm evening. How do people lose 80 yards of line ?

Had1

Reaction score
Favourite Fishing
Shore
Been looking at these evening tides for the last week planning on having a try. Only managed to find 3 live peelers few days back . Have some frozen too though running low so only took 1 frozen with me to haha.
Lovely warm night just cool enough to not sweat in shorts and t shirt.
1 rod on peeler at range ( 80 100 yards being range lol )
2nd rod massive loligo squid baits in gutter.
1st cast with the crab and a pull.down not a screamer, just a bite but hit into what I guessed was a hound, but something didn't quite feel right , more dragging than fighting so guessed was just with added weed. As it got close in felt really strange and I knew I was attached to something else too. After minutes of trying to get the lot to the beach I noticed someone else's line on mine aswell !! No anglers for 100s of yards must of been someone's crack off the day before who knows.
Anyway dragged the lot into the edge and somehow the persons lost about 70 yards of line ,shock , rig the lot ! Massive untangle had to retie my own leader and rig etc because of theirs grrrr!!
Hound about 4lbs returned safely and I was down the beach away from my gear in a stress lol so no picture .
Thought I was in for a good run of fish after that first cast but nothing else happened!
Weed got worse but was just about fishable on these small tides. Close in rod on squid not a touch but was presented fine most of the 3 hour session . No crabs taking it or covering by weed so at least I gave it a fair test .

Be doing another tide this week sometime probably .
20220822_201109.jpg20220822_195235.jpg

Nice report H1L2. Shame about the tangle but at least the Hound saved a blank & went back OK. I guess as John said, someone may have got snagged & cut their line rather than pulling for a break and hoping it broke closer to the end tackle.

Good effort mate, you can only try!

I would imagine the lost line was probably a crack off?

Not sure why any angler with even a bit of experience would choose to cut a snagged line when it usually breaks on the leader knot, unless you pull for a break and there’s unknown damage much further back up the line.

Well done on clearing the seas someone with braid might have cast over him braid vs mono only one winner there bey

Is the line clear to 70lb shockleader n pulley rig if so I got spooled by a hound the other day. FYI can only cast 50 yards do thought 80 would be plenty on me reel ? no point wasting all that line filling me reel up ?

Well done on clearing the seas someone with braid might have cast over him braid vs mono only one winner there bey

That’s a good point, that’s another possibility for sure
Was just the randomness of it that surprised me lol as sparsely fished and no snags . Only time I've had it happen before is Deal pier and Dover pier those sort of places where you expect it .

Probably a multiplier user snarling up mid-cast. It happens all too easily sometimes, especially after a decent fish when you don’t necessarily concentrate on line-lay as much.

Back