• Becoming a member is completely free!

• Join the community and start contributing to a large source of sea angling information.
    • Become an active member and you can enter member exclusive competitions.

REGISTER FOR FREE HERE

Weights

Going by the title of the thread i thought he had been to the Gym!

Fuel in litres, distances in miles…timber in metric

Clothes, chest ,waist and leg length in inches. Beer in pints .

Our world has gone mad.

I have never ever worked in metric , never really needed to , when buying timber the guys at the yard know both , and I have to take a tape and decide and decipher into imperial what I need .

In fact, I do not really understand it ….. foreign crap.

Dave

Fuel in litres, distances in miles…timber in metric

Clothes, chest ,waist and leg length in inches. Beer in pints .

Our world has gone mad.

I have never ever worked in metric , never really needed to , when buying timber the guys at the yard know both , and I have to take a tape and decide and decipher into imperial what I need .

In fact, I do not really understand it ….. foreign crap.

Dave
I am normally an imperial man and understand the lengths weights etc, but as someone of the age that metric came in, i did find measuring in metric 100% easier, and using scale drawings. Its simple just 10 measurements to use not anything between 1 and 64!
But would still normally measure in feet and inches if not to the gnats knacker.

My Father was a Lecturer in Carpentry and Joinery & Building Science at the Technical College, and a Joiner by trade.
He used to do a fair amount of jobs up and down and i would always be with him as a youngster.

It was not until i was about 16 that i knew how long a "midges" was,

As I was walking by St Paul's
A lady grabbed me by the elbow
She said " you look a man of pluck,
Please come inside and have a cup of tea,
Truppence, sixpence or a bob,
Depending on the size of your cup"

As I was walking by St Paul's
A lady grabbed me by the elbow
She said " you look a man of pluck,
Please come inside and have a cup of tea,
Truppence, sixpence or a bob,
Depending on the size of your cup"
It was a bit different in my time! about 55 years ago;);)

I remember designing a calorifier for a commercial system when we had just gone over to metric. I had to convert back to imperial to check it was the correct size.
Cars etc: Petrol & oil etc in litres, driving & speed limits etc mph, wtf ?

When we went from £.S.P to metric everything doubled in price.

It amuses we look at line breaking strain in lbs,rod length in feet ,yet lure weight in grammes
If you stand in the corner for a few hours, they call that a long weight. ?:giggle:

Back